Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slight Blur on new Macbook Pro

Options
  • 16-03-2011 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a new MacBook Pro yesterday and Im getting used to it gradually!

One thing thats bothering me is the slight blur in the text in all 3 browsers on the Mac.. especially in words written in bold.

Heres an example.. and I know its slight, but on a bright screen like the mac, a slight blur like that is a sure headache.

151835.jpg

Any ideas what Im doing wrong? Its a bit like when I was using a new monitor on my windows PC and the drivers hadnt been put in yet.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is this your first Mac? It's probably just the anti-aliasing that you are noticing. You'll get used to it. If not, you can turn it off via the Terminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Is this your first Mac? It's probably just the anti-aliasing that you are noticing. You'll get used to it. If not, you can turn it off via the Terminal.

Its my first one.. Thanks for that.. is that an easy job?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Try going into System Preferences and play around with the settings under Appearance - specifically the text smoothing options at the bottom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Try what Vinny suggested above, but afaik TinkerTool will allow you to disable all font smoothing system-wide without having to resort to Terminal commands. Not sure how good it looks though.

Making a bit of progress using the tinkertool and the appearance settings too. Adjustments to the default font settings in the browser are helping too.

Odd that you'd need to set it up like this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

Trotter wrote: »
    Making a bit of progress using the tinkertool and the appearance settings too. Adjustments to the default font settings in the browser are helping too.

Odd that you'd need to set it up like this though.

The benefits of font-smoothing are somewhat subjective, so it's not really possible to please everyone with the defaults - though personally, while I hate ClearType on Windows, I like the default Mac setup. Can't say exactly why!

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

I agree, it's subjective.

Here's what I recommend you do:

Go into System Preferences, Appearance, and at the bottom of the Appearance change your setting for text smoothing so it doesn't apply to anything below size 12. By default I think it's set to 8. So click on the menu at the bottom of the pane and change it from 8 to 12.

Enjoy! :)

Thanks for all the help everyone.. Ive tweaked a few things and its much better now.

Advertisement