Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad VS Advent Vega?

Options
  • 16-03-2011 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi all!

I'm in the market to buy a tablet.

I'll be mainly using it for watching films, web browsing, e-mail, using the odd app here and there and games. Nothing too fancy.

Originally I was going to go with the Advent Vega, however given the recent price drop of the iPad, I'm now wondering whether it would be worth spending a bit more and getting that instead?

I'm completely new to tablets, android etc.. so please forgive my ingnorance here :o

If you had to choose either of the above, which one would you go for and why?

One thing I'm concerned about is space - am I right in thinking that if I got the 16GB iPad it can't be upgraded with flash memory, whereas the Vega can?

Also, does anyone know if it will be likely that I would be able to upgrade the Vega to Honeycomb once it's released?

Will I have the full Android Market access with the Vega?

Sorry for the dumb questions..!

Any input either way would be great!

I'm anxious to pick up something over the weekend, just don't know which one to go for.

Oh, decisions, decisions, decisions..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I have an Archos 10.
    My requirements were similar to yours. Here's why I like mine.

1: I can plug the Archos into a USB port on any machine and copy video to it or from it. No need for installing special software.
    2: I can plug a USB key into the device and copy files to it or run from USB.
    3: The video requires no conversion to run on the Archos. Probably true of the iPad too.
    4: If set up FSync and SwiFTP for easy copying of files wirelessly. The iPad can probably do this too.
    5: I bought a cheap cable from eBay to plug it into a HDMI port so I can watch the video on it on a TV. I don't really use this much but it's a cool feature.
    6: At the time it was a lot cheaper (at €275) than the iPad.

It didn't come with Android market either but it was easy to set up.

In fairness to the iPad the screen is much better on it (better viewing angles) but the Archos is great for watching video and reading books.

I know you asked specifically about the Advent but 1,2,3,4,6 are probably the same for the Advent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

Hi Mick,

Thanks for all that, very helpful!

I actually had been looking at the Archos 10 previously and was really interested in it, however I have a E250 voucher for Currys/PC World (From the UPC deal) and I was planning on using that towards my purchase, and I'm not sure whether Currys/PC World stock the Archos 10 hence enquiring regards to the Vega and iPad.

If they do stock it, it will definitely be another one to take a look at.

I currently have an Archos 605 which I love as it has 160GB, so I'm gonna miss all that storage when I get a tablet :(

On the plus side however, web browsing should be much more enjoyable on a tablet!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Agent67

Good stuff, is it worth waiting to get the advent vega in a few months or buy now, will the price drop when the ipad 2 arrives, by the way how much is the ipad 2 gonna be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I have an Archos 10.
    My requirements were similar to yours. Here's why I like mine.

1: I can plug the Archos into a USB port on any machine and copy video to it or from it. No need for installing special software.
    2: I can plug a USB key into the device and copy files to it or run from USB.
    3: The video requires no conversion to run on the Archos. Probably true of the iPad too.
    4: If set up FSync and SwiFTP for easy copying of files wirelessly. The iPad can probably do this too.
    5: I bought a cheap cable from eBay to plug it into a HDMI port so I can watch the video on it on a TV. I don't really use this much but it's a cool feature.
    6: At the time it was a lot cheaper (at €275) than the iPad.

It didn't come with Android market either but it was easy to set up.

In fairness to the iPad the screen is much better on it (better viewing angles) but the Archos is great for watching video and reading books.

I know you asked specifically about the Advent but 1,2,3,4,6 are probably the same for the Advent.

I have to second this post.

Had an ipad since last November, and loved it. Then I traded it off on adverts.ie a few weeks back and got an Archos101 last sunday.
    I have to say I love it. The presence of a usb port, host usb, HDMI, and built in UPNP just to name a few options, and the fact that it's open source wipes the floor with the ipad.
    I'd definitely recommend the Archos tablet.

Advertisement