Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Torrent of Thoughts

Options
  • 16-03-2011 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi, I couldn't find a thread dedicated to pimping blogs so I thought I'd just stick this here. Apologies is such a thread exists and I missed it.

Anyway, started a blog a couple of days ago. It's mainly me rambling me about life, philosophy and just general observations with the odd short story thrown in there.

Very much appreciate if you could check it out and give me your thoughts! Thanks! :D

Edit: Sorry, didn't know it wasn't really acceptable to pimp personal sites here, I'll post a few of my articles here shortly.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's no such thread as it's actually against our charter to start threads just to pimp blogs. If you want to cross-post some of your work for comment here, please feel free, but using the forum to generate traffic is not really on.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TheCrimsonClown

Yeah, I wasn't really sure what the rules were regarding stuff like this. Apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TheCrimsonClown

Misunderstanding

The ability to perceive something or someone as it is or as they are is important. Things tend to go horribly awry when we lose this ability. It's this ability, like so many others, that is key to our genetic makeup. It's written into who we are. As humans, we naturally try to understand and comprehend the world around us to the greatest possible extent but doing so is not often simple.

I'm not really referring to great questions which remain unanswered now and probably will forever more. Nor am I speaking of conundrums which are actively being tackled through lateral thinking, such as the impending energy crisis. No, it's a misunderstanding much simpler but perhaps more difficult to avoid that has occupied my thoughts recently. That of misunderstanding on a human to human level. It happens everyday, though at times it may not obviously reveal itself. Someone says something to you, and you take it mean one thing while the person meant it to convey something entirely else. By definition, you have misunderstood. Easily corrected. "Sorry, could you say that again? I don't know what you really mean". Simple.

More complex though and perhaps even fascinating, is how people can be misunderstood by not just what they say but by what they do not say. The shy girl in the class who sits on her own and doesn't talk to anyone. The less empathetic people would dismiss her immediately or perhaps over a small amount of time, label her as a outcast, never questioning that judgement. The slightly more caring may ask themselves, why is she so quiet? And those who can not only see but feel her suffering would do something to try and ease it. For all we know, this girl could be the most sweet, charming and entertaining girl in the entire class but because of shyness no one may ever know this. She has been misunderstood.

That's one example. Here's another. I mentioned the difference between what people say and what is understood. What about, what people say and what they really want to say? It can often be difficult to honestly convey yourself, a result of an unwillingness to expose one's vulnerability. What people say (or the way in which they articulate their thoughts) and what they truly think can lead to misunderstanding.

I wonder if all seemingly negative aspects of life aren't really all that negative. Sure, they make us feel ****ty but without them would we appreciate positivity as much? Or do we appreciate it too little as it is? Perhaps we need negativity to balance us out, to maintain the scales which help to form the fundamentals of whatever being human actually means.

Advertisement