Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiat 2.3JTD fuel consumption

Options
  • 16-03-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi All
    I have a 2003 Fiat Ducato 2.3 jtd which has lost power and fuel consumption has droped, I make it about 17mpg. Can any one tell me is there any inline fuel filter other than the main filter or throw any light on it. Should i bring it to a Fiat dealer to get it pluged in to a computer. I previously had a 2.8 which I found to be a lot better both on power and fuel. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Hi MontyK

I feel your pain.........check out the thread link posted below
    That said, I hav eadjusted my driving style significantly and found thatif I keep the van around the 80kmh mark, I get a massive increase in mpg (ie up around the 26 / 27mpg)

Cheers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056057516&highlight=fuel+consumption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Have you got smoke?

My first suspect would be a leak in the air pipes after the turbo or a damaged intercooler. Any loss of boost will result in increased fuel consumption and
    reduced power. A split pipe can look fine until the boost pops it open so careful inspection.

Second suspect would unfortunately be the injection system.

With fiatecuscan and a vagcom cable from ebay you'll be able to monitor the rail pressure and other parameters to get a picture of whats going on. What part of the country are you in maybe someone nearby has a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

any garage with decent diagnostic equipment will be able to read the ECU for faults . There is a screen on the bottom of the fuel pick up in the tank , but i doubt thats it . As PAddy says , look for any pipe problems , or even if a stone or something pierced the intercooler . The 2.5/2.8s , the wastegate on the turbo used to seize if the van was idle a long time , not a likely problem on yours but easy to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

In addition to what the lads above said id check the air filter especially, could make a big difference, fuel filter also

• Registered Users Posts: 11 montyk

Thanks every one, the van is serviced regularly, but I will change the filters just in case. I will check the turbo pipes, I suspect the intercooler wont as easy to check as a leak wont show until the pressure is on it. If the waste gate was stuck would it not have a serious affect on the engine?
    I have the van 5 yrs taken it to europe over the last 5 yrs and found the fuel consumption was'nt great, but really bad recently, I know we dont get much for your money these days considering the price of fuel!
    I am in the Waterford area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

a stuck wastegate sometimes stops the turbo building any boost so it feels gutless. A hole in the intercooler is normally shown by an oily looking stain on it , as I find all the FIAT motors , even when running healthy , always breathe a bit of oil in the air intake system .
    But definitely get a garage to check the diagnostics . Doesn't have to be a main dealer .

Advertisement