Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with fencing options?

Options
  • 16-03-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi, I'm looking to put a fence around my garden, its about a 1/3 acre. At the moment, there is a wooden post and rail fence thats not in great repair, and as I have two toddlers and want a hedge, I just want to get a secure fence that my kids can play safely in and a hedge for the birds and a windbreak.
    I'm hesitant to put in a block wall; cost, foundation, neighbours trees etc.
    So I'm thinking of a concrete post and rail or another wooden post and rail. I'm loathe to put in a wooden one as the one thats there isn't very secure, plus I'd have to paint it every year, and creosote isn't recommended anymore.
    The end of the garden is quite damp, and I'm wondering would that affect concreting the concrete posts into the ground?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

OP concrete is the only option in constantly wet ground and rather than go with rail I would go with chain link fence which is better at keeping kids and dogs in and other kids and dogs out.

Even when you do get a hedge started it will provide a maintenance free barrier with rail fences kids will still attempt to take a short cut and ultimately damage the hedge. You can allow the hedge to overgrow the fence or keep it trimmed up to it on one side.

So yes concrete is the best and you can't buy creosote for domestic use anymore the EU banned it because of the carcinogenics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mickeyjo

Thanks so much for the advice, am going to go with Larch post and Rail pressurised timber. Really appreciated the advice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

mickeyjo wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the advice, am going to go with Larch post and Rail pressurised timber. Really appreciated the advice:)

Larch is an excellent choice for the posts.

Advertisement