Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac horse care beginners level

Options
  • 16-03-2011 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello everyone

newbie here and judged wanted to know about this course and has any one done it. I haven't ridden in20 years but we recently bought an old house with quite a bit of land and I want learn the basics all over again. At 42 I would feel mortified asking to volunteer at the local stables as I am quite overweight so I wouldnt inflict this on any poor horse until I start to slim down. I have always loved horses, It was my life when I was younger but getting older and partying took over.

Anyway if someone could give me some details that would be great and also can you do this course at home? I live near Abbeyleix in Laois.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Horsemania

Hi there, sorry I have not done this course but I do see the sport horse riding and stable management Fetac Courses advertised from time to time. And I think you should ask a stables if you could help them out, if you don't ask you don't get, and if you get lessons from them you get to know everyone there and the horses and so your help would be appreciated. Let us know how you get on.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

A big part of any animal care course is going to have to be hands-on experience in a work placement. I think the best option for you would be to find a riding school that does lessons in husbandry and equine care, failing this should be able to find somewhere that runs BHS stages courses even if you don't intend to do the exams it would still be a lot of benefit to you. Another option would be to get some work experience, even one day a week, at a livery yard where you'll find all ages pitching in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cybersue

Thank you both for giving me such good advice. I am very shy because of my weight and wanted to do this course so if I volunteered at a stable I wouldn't feel so self conscious plus I'd know my way around a bridle!
    I will contact the lo al stable and see if they will let me help. I have to admit that working alongside skinny teenagers will be a bit daunting, plus the age factor as well. Thanks again and you are right hands on is much better than that fancy book learnin......

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭mystika121

Hi there, that's brilliant that you are getting back into horses! Well done.

Try not to be concerned about your weight. Once you get stuck into helping you will tone up quickly! Most staff and helpers are far too busy and grateful for the help to be worried about anyone's appearance.

I'm sure there will be livery owners in the stables that will be more your age that will be happy to chat and glad of your help.

If there are any riders local to you that you can get chatting to then they maybe willing to let you spend a bit of time around their yard before you go to the local school. A day spent in a yard and you will feel like you have never been away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cybersue

These messages have really given me some confidence in doing something about my dream of finally owning my own horse. I really appreciate the advice. Met the local taxi diver driver last night and he owns horses and said he would let me help him in his small yard. I am delighted that its finally starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭mystika121

That's great. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Horsemania

I'm really happy for you, it will be fun and please remember to take care with handling horses especially ones you are not familiar with. I always wear hard hat and gloves and hi vis if handling on the roads. I know to a lot of people this seems ott, but be safe and enjoy yourself and keep us posted. Good Luck.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 godanicus

Not sure about fetac but i recently completed the B.H.S course and it was brill, like yourself i was out of the equine circles for over 15 years.
    Went and done this course and i have the bug again for horses,lol.

A good book is also a great help, i can send you one, its the complete horse care manual, not too big but great help and excellent pics too.Pm me if you want me to send it on to you F.O.C.

Regarding your weight, i was 14 and half stone when i went to do the course, but who really gives a ****e really. Nobody!!!!
    Do it for yourself and smile the whole way thru!!!!!! :D:D:D

Advertisement