Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to advertise a Young Horse

Options
  • 16-03-2011 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

In 2009 my mare had a beautiful colt by Lux z. My intention was to sell him as a weanling/yearling, but due to poor market conditions at the time, I didn't bother advertising him as I have plenty of land to keep him till things improve.

I am reconsidering my options now and thinking of advertising him to see what interest is out there. After a years break, my mare is now expecting her second foal, a Baloubet Du Rouet baby (all going well *Fingers Crossed*) so I wont have as much time to put into the Lux.

My question is what are the best websites to advertise to reach a market interested in top quality youngstock? I know I am biased but he is a bit special, when he was just a baby in the field with his mum, I had a show judge stop his car, drive in and enquire who he was by, thats how impressed he was. He was so kind as to say that he was the nicest foal he had seen that year.

I want to avoid done deal as much as possible as it seems to attract time wasters and people offering stupid money by text...

He has the breeding and jump on his mums side, I wont go into detail here as it may seem like I'm trying to advertise!

Thanks for your help guys

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I'm not too familiar with websites which advertise horses, apart from donedeal or buy and sell, but the more conventional methods are often just as could. You could try the Irish Field and/or Farmers' Journal papers as there's always quite a few 'good' horses advertised there, especially the former.

Often word of mouth is hugely effective, too, so don't underestimate that. Putting notices up in local riding centres/schools, tack shops, etc., as well as at shows and events can also work, too, especially if there's a photo or two on the notice. It's all worth a try.

As far as I remember, the AIRC website has a section for horses/ponies for sale, but I'm not sure if that's restricted to members, so you could have a look there, too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What about sales like Cavan or Goresbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Selling 2yr old is a hard one. For some reason in Ireland people either sell/buy as Foals or wait for 3 year olds.

The market is not strong at the sales even when things are good.

But. Being by Lux Z you do have a sire that attracts attention.
    As Convert says word of mouth may be best.
    The best way to do this might be to put in the effort to go to a few shows if you can. It wouldn't take to long for word to spread if he was to be seen winning a class or a Young Horse Champinship at an early season show. In the long run if you have to hold on to him a few days out as a 2 year old will be good for his education.
    Nothing better than the buzz of a home bred doing well at any stage of its career but if you are on the end of the lead yourself its even better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Sales results at Cavan and Gorsebirdge are pretty poor at the moment. By the time you have paid to get them there and entrance fee, then get a top bid of 2500 - 3000 you have to turn around and transport him home again. You wouldnt even cover your covering fee at that :(

I had heard the private market is still getting good prices for good horses so i would prefer to go that route. If there was a chanel where by i could get access to european buyers id llike to look into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Mo MO

Hi Hun,

youre selling mick?? pity cause he is a smasher. There are a few websites to try, i understand youre doubts with Donedeal, but genuine intersted ppl do look at it. Tina mc dermott had a 3yr old up from her Quidam de Revel at 14,500 and 2 weeks later was gone! so for the sake of €3 would do no harm. Ill text you on the other ones i used. will also mention to Cathal and Declan for you. did you ring Jim Derwin? he might have a client.

don't rush into it yet anyway, he too special to be given away

xxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Thanks misses, i know what ur saying... I wont give him away anyhow, plenty of land for him to be left out on for the foreeable, its just that it would make life a bit easier on me financially if i sold him, and also taking care of him in the mean time.

What abiout putting mares back in foal this year, anyone having doubts? Im now out the value of 2 covering fees to two very expensive stallions, took a break of a year between the two but should i stump up the cash for another this year not having sold the first one? :confused:

Some people are saying that very good horses are going to be very scarce in the years to come with people not investing the money in breeding to the expensive stallions, and also a lot of european buyers coming here and snapping up bargains. Im all confusted... :pac:

Advertisement