Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on essay for EIL travel awards

Options
  • 15-03-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im writing an essay for the EIL Travel Awards in Japan http://www.eilireland.org/travel-awards/japan

They award 14 people a fully funded trips to different country's so they can learn more about different cultures.

The letter application said an essay of up to 700 words but mine in 780, will I need to loose the extra 80 words. The essay question was:
    "What you would hope to learn while on the program and how the experience might benefit you on your return to Ireland.”
    Heres a summary of what I included:

What I can learn I included:

What I can learn about customs/life in Japan?
    The way they behave
    Food in Japan/Table manners
    Education in Japan
    Expectations for teens
    The experience of introducing the students to Ireland/Irish culture.
    I would like to visit some of the places recently affected by the disaster.

How it will help me when I return:

It will start of my learning Japanese
    Make me better able to understand different cultures within Ireland
    It will help me in my future teaching career as I may see something that teachers in Japan do that Irish teachers dont while attending school there.
    It may encourage me to stop using the car for travel and maby cycle more
    I will be able to share my experience with my friends and family in Ireland.

Is there anything else that I should include or leave out, or am I going in the wrong direction all together? Also if you have any info on how tough it actually is to get a place on a program please let me know.

Advertisement