Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car loans/HP - Anyone with recent experience applying?

Options
  • 15-03-2011 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello - After some advice on current lending criteria for car finance and hoping some of you have bought a new car recently!

I would like to trade up my car. However, I have heard that the banks are being pretty difficult with people in relation to giving out car finance. I don't want to go crazy applying left, right and centre so that I will end up with a sting of viewer records on my ICB report only to be refused.

Has anyone successfully/unsuccessfully applied for car finance recently? Is the success rate better through dealers or directly with banks? I've heard BOI are not lending at all really - is this so?

I'm hoping to borrow about 11k. My only debt at the moment is about 400 on a CU loan that will be clear in a few weeks. I have a credit card with about 1700 on it at the moment.Full time PAYE worker and my gross salary is about 30k with no rent/mortgage etc. coming out. Not good at saving but pay all my bills on time. ICB report is clear, the only thing that might be a problem there is that there is no real lending history as I have only borrowed from the CU in the past.

Any advice, experiences etc. most welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

I know that with lease/hp the bank has the car as security to protect them, if you got a bank loan its unsecured and the bank has nothing to fall back on hence they want car loans to go down the loan/hp route

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Why get a car loan from your CU? They are advertising at moment that they are lending and should get a better rate there

Advertisement