Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hazelwood apartment complex no bicycles policy

Options
  • 15-03-2011 9:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi, just looking for some advice

I moved into the Hazelwood apartment complex two months ago. I like living here. A friend of mine lived here last year and had his bike robbed from the bike rack in the complex. I have a very expensive bike and since I moved here I've been leaving it in my room in my apartment, no problem. Earlier today I was on my way out of the apartment and a security guard told me in no uncertain terms that i wasn't allowed to have my bike in my room, inside the apartment.

I realized he was just doing his job so went to the management company who have an office there and they told me the same thing. No bikes are allowed into the apartment.

I didn't know this before I moved in. I just took it for granted that I'd be allowed to bring my bike up to my room and I've been doing it for the past 2 months and nobody said anything.

The bike cost me 700 quid and is very expensive. After hearing about a bike being robbed there and seeing some, hmm how should i put it.. "scumbags" living in some of the apartments, I've no doubt the bike would get robbed. Security isn't on 24 hours and the bike rack is terrible as well. Plus leaving a bike exposed to the elements for long enough will cause it to fall apart pretty quickly due to rust etc.

So I've pretty much decided to move out. I was given the number of the overall landlord and I'll give him a ring tomorrow. I signed a lease for 6 months and I'll have to talk to the company who I am renting the room from.

I find this rule ridiculous and just want to let anyone who is thinking of moving into the hazelwood apartment complex know about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

paddy1990 wrote: »
    Hi, just looking for some advice

I moved into the Hazelwood apartment complex two months ago. I like living here. A friend of mine lived here last year and had his bike robbed from the bike rack in the complex. I have a very expensive bike and since I moved here I've been leaving it in my room in my apartment, no problem. Earlier today I was on my way out of the apartment and a security guard told me in no uncertain terms that i wasn't allowed to have my bike in my room, inside the apartment.

I realized he was just doing his job so went to the management company who have an office there and they told me the same thing. No bikes are allowed into the apartment.

I didn't know this before I moved in. I just took it for granted that I'd be allowed to bring my bike up to my room and I've been doing it for the past 2 months and nobody said anything.

The bike cost me 700 quid and is very expensive. After hearing about a bike being robbed there and seeing some, hmm how should i put it.. "scumbags" living in some of the apartments, I've no doubt the bike would get robbed. Security isn't on 24 hours and the bike rack is terrible as well. Plus leaving a bike exposed to the elements for long enough will cause it to fall apart pretty quickly due to rust etc.

So I've pretty much decided to move out. I was given the number of the overall landlord and I'll give him a ring tomorrow. I signed a lease for 6 months and I'll have to talk to the company who I am renting the room from.

I find this rule ridiculous and just want to let anyone who is thinking of moving into the hazelwood apartment complex know about it.

I agree that is ridiculous. Out of interest, is there anything in your lease about not being allowed to have bikes in your apartment?

I'm in a nice apartment complex in cork city and there's no issue with it. Unless it's explicity stated in your lease, I don't see why you can't leave your bike indoors. As long as it's not causing any damage or damaging flooring, then i don't see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Most apartment complexes seem to have this rule. It's apparently to avoid damage to walls and doors when carrying through the bikes.
    It's usually mentioned in the lease agreement or management company rules.
    The apts where I live have the same rule but I choose to ignore it and keep my bike in my apt anyway and hope for the best!
    Bike parking facilities in a lot of apts are just easy targets for bike thieves, loads have been stolen too from my place..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Tell him you are turbo training and as much as you would like to do it outside, you do it inside so you can watch reruns of the Gilmore Girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tau

Get some cheap training wheels, lock them outside each day and carry up the frame. Even if its against the lease to bring a bike in, there's no way its against the lease to have bike parts in your flat. If it doesn't have wheels, its not a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Unless it's explicity stated in your lease, I don't see why you can't leave your bike indoors.

I'm sure the lease loosely refers to the house rules, and it's included therein.

Our place is the same. We voted not to enforce for bikes at the last AGM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Aye, best bet is to contact the residents committee and try to get approval. It's a pain in the arse alright. A serious drawback of apartment living that other people can tell you what to do on your own property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Get a bike bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Is there a back way of sneaking it in?

There are a few rules about apartment living that are unfair to a minority of perfectly decent people. Whatever you do, don't leave an expensive bike overnight anywhere but in your apartment. I lived in two different apartments, and I always brought it into the apartment. Nobody ever said anything, but I was very discreet. If I can avoid it, I hope never to live in an apartment again in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

You pay a deposit as insurance against damage to their property for the duration of the tenancy, so why don't they pay you a deposit in case of loss of your property while on their complex.
    Ask if their insurance will cover theft of bike from the bike rack.
    I would be thinking of buying a hack bike for <100 Euro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Get a bike bag.

I did that a couple of years ago, I had to cycle to work with my race bike but couldn't leave it anywhere in the building. I got a cheap bike bag off eBay and stuffed it in before I entered the building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

the WHEELS on ONE of my bikes cost more than 700 euro!!!

there is no way i'd leave them in a bike rack. i'm also in an apartment complex with a strict no bicycle policy. I've been carrying the bikeS in and out for well over a year now with no hassle whatsoever. The rules, I find, are there to be enforced if they need to be - i.e. gob****es dragging filthy mountain bikes over the carpets - which i've seen. Once you are careful coming in and out and dont give anyone reason to complain - you should be fine i'd say. is the security guard there all the time ?? if you've been fine for the last while maybe he wont give you too much hassle in the long run ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

just keep on bringing it in. what are they going to do. They have not rights over your third party contract (lease) and can only probably threaten to fine you (and the legality of private fines is a hot topic atm (in law) and will never stick) in short they can only keep asking you not to bring it in. explain that due to the expence of the bike, building damage is not an issue as you take great care for your bike and intend on continuing to bring it inside your private dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'd ask them to see the full list of "thing's you're not allowed keep in the apartment" -do they include golf clubs (they could damage walls/common areas) -what about fridges, sofa's, beds, cookers, washing machines... if they have to keep the common areas clean then no one should be allowed bring them in....

You should try heading out for a walk in the rain one day, get good and muddy and then head home, trailing it all up the stairs, and see if you get banned :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭paddy1990

Well I talked to the owner of the complex this morning. I went down to the office, and asked him about the situation. He cut me off before I could even explain and told me that no bikes were allowed in the apartments in any circumstances. He said I have to lock it on the rack. I told him it cost me 700 quid and could get robbed if I left it out there due to the security not being on all the time, his reply "Thats not my problem".

There was no getting through to him. The management haven't been very helpful during my dealings with them either.

I'm just going to keep bringing it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You already have a bike, but for apartment living, I think a folding bike is probably a good idea. At least you can easily conceal it when bringing it in.

I'd certainly continue bringing it in. If they don't like it, there are plenty of vacant apartment spaces around these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Keep bringing it in. Don't ask for permission, but when challenged, simply ask for forgiveness.

And repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Is the complex owner also your landlord?

I only ask because I'm firmly of the opinion that what goes on within your apartment is your business (so long as it doesn't adversely affect your neighbours -ie loud music, water leaks etc), and so the owner can't stop you keeping your bike in the apartment.

I'd also tell him that if he is saying your only option is to lock your bike to the racks provided, then he is liable for any damage or theft, and that subsequent claims would be his problem for failing to adequately secure the area while forcing you to keep your bicycle there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Keep bringing it in. I ignored my landlord's nonsense for over a year with no problem. I remember he once showed he where the bike shed. It was a like a graveyard with every single bike broken.

As one poster said, plently of empty apts around Dublin.

If you can't bring in a bike, then the same rules must apply to prams/buggies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

what nonsense :mad: tell him if its locked onto his bike rack it will be up to him to reimburse you if it gets stolen, if it was me i would just keep bringing it in anyway, id nearly go out of my way to annoy the p**** tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

unionman wrote: »
    Keep bringing it in. Don't ask for permission, but when challenged, simply ask for forgiveness.

And repeat.

Totally agree. I have a similar stupid rule in my building. There's nothing said about the 10 people living in the 1-bed across from me (most likely wrecking the gaff), but as soon as the janitor sees me wheeling my precious bike around, he has a conniption. The bikes in the racks provided have been repeatedly crushed by the garbage men who push the massive empty bins on top of them, so there's no way I'm leaving it there.

I wouldn't bother dealing with the security/management company guys. Just ignore them, and carry on regardless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

QueensGael wrote: »
    as soon as the janitor sees me wheeling my precious bike around, he has a conniption.

Word of the week!

QueensGael wrote: »
    Totally agree. I have a similar stupid rule in my building. There's nothing said about the 10 people living in the 1-bed across from me (most likely wrecking the gaff), but as soon as the janitor sees me wheeling my precious bike around, he has a conniption. The bikes in the racks provided have been repeatedly crushed by the garbage men who push the massive empty bins on top of them, so there's no way I'm leaving it there.

I wouldn't bother dealing with the security/management company guys. Just ignore them, and carry on regardless!

This is my plan, the problem is I have to cycle past the security on my way in. The security lads are all Polish I think and only one is on at a time but there is one lad that was flexing his muscles and warning me not to have the bike in my apartment again or I'd have to pay "big money". I'm just going to keep bringing it in anyway.

The management and the security are attrocious in the Hazelwood apartments. The security lads sit there looking at their laptops all day/night they is on and the management are very rude in any of my dealings with them.

Is the complex owner also your landlord?

I only ask because I'm firmly of the opinion that what goes on within your apartment is your business (so long as it doesn't adversely affect your neighbours -ie loud music, water leaks etc), and so the owner can't stop you keeping your bike in the apartment.

I'd also tell him that if he is saying your only option is to lock your bike to the racks provided, then he is liable for any damage or theft, and that subsequent claims would be his problem for failing to adequately secure the area while forcing you to keep your bicycle there

He owns the complex I was told. He's not my actual landlord though, I am renting from a company.

I'm going to keep bringing the bike in, and if I get challenged again in a serious way I'll make sure I make him listen to the points I make. If he wants to make me keep my bicycle out of the apartment, they are going to have a hard time stopping me bringing it in every day. Any fines they try to impose will be laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

paddy1990 wrote: »
    This is my plan, the problem is I have to cycle past the security on my way in. The security lads are all Polish I think and only one is on at a time but there is one lad that was flexing his muscles and warning me not to have the bike in my apartment again or I'd have to pay "big money". I'm just going to keep bringing it in anyway.

The management and the security are attrocious in the Hazelwood apartments. The security lads sit there looking at their laptops all day/night they is on and the management are very rude in any of my dealings with them.

flexing his muscles :rolleyes: what a ponse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Is this the same place.

http://www.hazelwood.ie/

If so you could put this thread up on their blog as a comment.

It seems to be advertised as student accommodation, so I would think many students might like to be aware of this restriction before taking out a lease.

Is this the same place.

http://www.hazelwood.ie/

If so you could put this thread up on their blog as a comment.

It seems to be advertised as student accommodation, so I would think many students might like to be aware of this restriction before taking out a lease.

I've put a comment up. :D

Even if they do start stringently enforcing it, I'll leave the wheels locked and bring the frame. Then go down and get the wheels shortly after ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Are wheelchairs banned from the complex?
    Are baby's buggys banned?
    Or is the only form of wheeled transport that's banned the humble bicycle?
    I think that is discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Always a good idea to ask about this kind of bullshit, a lot of Dublin apartment blocks are awful anal about stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

Likewise, I would just ignore, ignore, ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cgkl

Hi to all of you and sorry for asking here, but this was the most recent active thread about Hazelwood studio apartments.

I just wanted to ask, how good is living there, and how safe is the place and the neighborhood, how do you like staying there, etc. since I am thinking to move in.

A guy earlier mentioned that there are some "scumbags" in some apartments.
    Have there been any incidents of thefts in the apartments, or people getting robbed or something, or you would say it is a quiet neighborhood?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement