Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear WNR3500L suitable for Eircom?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes thats only a router so you will definitely need a dsl modem or perhaps a combined modem/router such as your Zyxel with routing function switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Thanks for the help. I knew it was a stupid question!

I think I am going to try the netgear DGN3500-100PES Wireless-N Router & Modem. Should do the job. Just hope I see an improvement on my download speed.

Before spending money it is always worth trying to find out what exactly your line is capable of. Have you checked your line stats?

By the way wise man always say "only stupid question is the one not asked":)

dub45 wrote: »
    Before spending money it is always worth trying to find out what exactly your line is capable of. Have you checked your line stats?

By the way wise man always say "only stupid question is the one not asked":)

Ha! Yeah, I have spoken to Eircom about this and they have said that my line is set at 17meg download but my line only syncs at 15. Their customer support said that my line should be good for the 17. I'm hoping that I will be able to get the 17 if I get rid of the piece of c**p Zyxel that Eircom provide.

I have decided to go with the Netgear DGN3500. I hope that will do the job. I'm pretty confident it will be better than the Zyxel at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i was told im good for 10mb by eircom reality is i get only 6mb....... so take everything jim the eircom guy says with a grain of salt

• Advertisement

As I am forever saying anyone on dsl should know their line stats - then you know what your line should be capable of. Also things like internal wiring, lack of filters, sky box plugged in without filter, can affect the line's capabilities and of course using a wireless network.

So check your line stats - plenty of information here:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

i was told im good for 10mb by eircom reality is i get only 6mb....... so take everything jim the eircom guy says with a grain of salt

Yeah, you're right. Although, I have been getting a solid 15meg for the last year and wanted to try the next option up, so I have been moved on to the 17meg and hopefully will see some improvement at least.

Also, will just be great to get rid of the Zyxel which is nothing but trouble for most people who have to put up with it. It won't even let you connect to the apple tv 2 over wifi. It's Ethernet or nothing which is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. I know Ethernet is better, and I will probably end up using it as my house is wired for it, but it's nice to have the option.

As I am forever saying anyone on dsl should know their line stats - then you know what your line should be capable of. Also things like internal wiring, lack of filters, sky box plugged in without filter, can affect the line's capabilities and of course using a wireless network.

So check your line stats - plenty of information here:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Cheers Dub. I had a look but to be honest, I don't understand the figures. I don't know if you have any under standing of it but my figures are as follows:

DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 14982 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 31 dB /16 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 4 dB /16 dB

I was on to Eircom and gave them my stats ant they said that I should be ablt to get 17 or even 20 but as I said, I don't know.

jaykay2 wrote: »
    Cheers Dub. I had a look but to be honest, I don't understand the figures. I don't know if you have any under standing of it but my figures are as follows:

DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 14982 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 31 dB /16 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 4 dB /16 dB

I was on to Eircom and gave them my stats ant they said that I should be ablt to get 17 or even 20 but as I said, I don't know.

Your Noise Margin figures look on the low side. Anything under 10, although some people say under 6 can lead to regular disconnects. As speed increases it puts extra pressure on the snr so if you increase your speed you are likely to get a lot of disconnects.

A lot of people experience such problems when to move up to faster products.

Have you experienced that with your current router?

What's your internal wiring like? are there additional extensions for instance.

Your Noise Margin figures look on the low side. Anything under 10, although some people say under 6 can lead to regular disconnects. As speed increases it puts extra pressure on the snr so if you increase your speed you are likely to get a lot of disconnects.

A lot of people experience such problems when to move up to faster products.

Have you experienced that with your current router?

What's your internal wiring like? are there additional extensions for instance.

When I have it synced at 15meg (last year or so) it is rock silid with no disconnects so I always have something to fall back on if I dont see any improvement with my new router. As it is now, its set for 17 but syncing at 15. Have had 1 or 2 disconnects though.

My house is wired for ethernet and currently has no phones or sky boxes connected to it. It comes straight from the eircom access point to my zyxel router. Also have an ethernet switch to give me more access points.

I have ordered the Netgear DGN 3500 modem/router and should have it this week. Worse case scenario and it offers no improvement to my sync speed, it will at least allow to connect to my Apple tv 2 wirelessly. The zyxel doesnt allow that believe it or not. I have done a good bit of research on it and there seems to be no way around.

• Advertisement

jaykay2 wrote: »
    When I have it synced at 15meg (last year or so) it is rock silid with no disconnects so I always have something to fall back on if I dont see any improvement with my new router. As it is now, its set for 17 but syncing at 15. Have had 1 or 2 disconnects though.

My house is wired for ethernet and currently has no phones or sky boxes connected to it. It comes straight from the eircom access point to my zyxel router. Also have an ethernet switch to give me more access points.

I have ordered the Netgear DGN 3500 modem/router and should have it this week. Worse case scenario and it offers no improvement to my sync speed, it will at least allow to connect to my Apple tv 2 wirelessly. The zyxel doesnt allow that believe it or not. I have done a good bit of research on it and there seems to be no way around.

Just out of curiosity why will the zyxel not work with the Apple tv?

Just out of curiosity why will the zyxel not work with the Apple tv?

It's been a while since I saw the threads about the Apple tv and the zyxel but from what I could gather, it was the fact that Eircom have it locked up tight after the problems they had with the prevous Neotopia routers they were using. The Neotopias were easy to get access to the wi-fi as im sure you know.

Advertisement