Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Clinical or Law International?

Options
  • 15-03-2011 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi
    I was just wondering if anyone doing law would be able to recommend either type of law.
    Also, are the placements paid, or is it necessary to also have a job for this placement year?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

I didnt do either but looking back I wish I had done Clinical. Looking for internships or work, I wish I had more work experience to give my cv the edge. Not only does clinical give you a year of relevant legal experience but UCC set them up with really impressive places eg. the Dail, office of the Attorney General which definately trumps a week in your local solicitors office you know? It depends on the placement you get but as far as I know most of them are paid? Im sure international would be fun to experience a year somewhere else but I think career wise, clinical could be the best option. Thats just my opinion though. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

Some are paid but not all. If you do an international year in an EU country you will get a eurasmus grant which helps financially.

The two programmes are totally different- clinical is very practical and a great opportunity for work experience in very different types of legal practice, from large commercial firms to NASC, an immigrant support centre.

International is a brilliant opportunity to get a different view on legal education, in some excellent universities and in some of the locations you can do great placements for up to a full semester.

I totally disagree that clinical is better than international for jobs, both are impressive and international is something different, an experience few applicants will have. Whilst clinical is great, it wont separate you from applicants who are 5 years out of college and have similar experience. When I appleid for jobs last year I knwo international was the factor that pushed my applications through and have been told as much by partners in a number of large dublin firms.

SOme of the destinations are more fun and less education, whereas others are very heavy workloads, far more than in UCC undergrad, which gives an edge for final year. Even those places are fun though :)

Also, I got LOADS for my CV whilst on international, lots of competitions and unique experiences.

Many of the big corporate firms, and firms outside Ireland, really value the international experience as they have large international client portfolios.

Just my two cents, though I did international so I am biased :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

TBH career wise the best thing you can do is international, then spend lots of time doing applications for summer internships, and other things such as debating etc, will really help you in the long run.

The work experience you get in Clinical is great, but there is not reason why you can't find this during the summer if you work hard enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 anycourse

thanks for replying everyone...big help..... really considering international now if i get the points :D

Advertisement