Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Exemption

Options
  • 15-03-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Hey I was wondering what the rules are for getting into college(specifically UCC) with an Irish Exemption. Right now, im in 5th year and im eligible for an Irish Exemption(was out of country for 4 years, re-enrolled when i was 12 :)).

Id love to get the exemption, but my parents keep insisting that i'd need another European language, otherwise i cant get in :(. At the moment, im studying English, German and Irish but they say that id have to take up French or something if im to get into college D:.

Someone in my class just got exempt today, and he says he doesnt need another language, and the other people exempt in my year have said the same thing and so has my teacher(but she said that shes not sure :P)

Thanks veerrryyyy much if ya get back :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Have you asked your guidance counsellor?
    As far as I know you don't need another European language if you get the exemption though.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Im gonna book an appointment tomorrow, I just wanted any other info if you have it, cheers:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Blue_Rose

Hayezer wrote: »
    Hey I was wondering what the rules are for getting into college(specifically UCC) with an Irish Exemption. Right now, im in 5th year and im eligible for an Irish Exemption(was out of country for 4 years, re-enrolled when i was 12 :)).

Id love to get the exemption, but my parents keep insisting that i'd need another European language, otherwise i cant get in :(. At the moment, im studying English, German and Irish but they say that id have to take up French or something if im to get into college D:.

Someone in my class just got exempt today, and he says he doesnt need another language, and the other people exempt in my year have said the same thing and so has my teacher(but she said that shes not sure :P)

Thanks veerrryyyy much if ya get back :D:D

You'd need a language allright, but German will do! If you do get the exemption just make sure the CAO folk know!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Kk thanks Blue Rose :D im gonna wait till guidance counsellour though before making any quick decisions :P. What my parents are saying is that I would need another language to REPLACE the irish :P, but hopefully that aint true :).

Also anyone know how you go bout actually applying for the exemption?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Im gonna book an appointment tomorrow, I just wanted any other info if you have it, cheers:D.

The requirements can be found here:

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/how/leavingcert/

The average minimum standard appears to be :
    HC3 in two subjects and passes in four other subjects at H or O Level in the Leaving Certificate from Irish, English, another language, and three other subjects recognised for entry purposes.

Your best bet is to contact them on:
    Undergraduate Admissions: T:+353 (0)21 490 3571 | E: admissions@ucc.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Like Bannasidhe said, to get into UCC, you need HC3 in two subjects and passes in four other subjects at H or O Level in the Leaving Certificate from Irish, English, another language (they dropped the maths requirement last year). If you have an Irish exemption, then you need English and your other language.

Did you do Irish for your JC?

Advertisement