Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What cleaner/disinfectant for cleaning tanks?

Options
  • 14-03-2011 9:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

What is the best cleaner/disinfectant to use when cleaning out tanks and any items to do with tanks?

I dont want to use something that will taint the water and killl the plants and or fish?

So whats the safest cleaner or disinfectant to use?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I thought you weren't supposed to use any kind of detergent or anything.
    even tap water isn't recommended. Best water to use is old water from the tank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I thought you weren't supposed to use any kind of detergent or anything.
    even tap water isn't recommended. Best water to use is old water from the tank.

I dont know,thats why Im asking.Im a complete newbie to all of this.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Don`t use any disinfectant in the tank.
    If you need to clean the ornaments that clean them with a brush and some
    warm water.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Do you know about the Nitrogen cycle and cycling a tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Serena00

There are special cleaners that are sold at fish stores which are fish safe, these would be your best bet.

Vinegar is also an option, it kills just about anything and everything it touches so if you're cleaning an empty tank there is no reason you can't use that. Just make sure that you rinse it completely prior to using it for fish.

I guess you could also use ammonia, many people use that for a fish less cycle anyway and provided you properly rinse out the tank it shouldn't leave any residue.

What you don't use are soaps and detergents meant for disinfecting table tops or counters, these typically leave a residue and will kill your fish just like they kill germs.

Again, alot of this depends on if you're cleaning a tank with fish or an empty tank, I assume that since you're disinfecting it that it's empty ...

If the tank is empty use a laundry product called "Oxyclean" it works by oxidation instead of chlorine and rinses out of the tank with very little trouble.
    marine fish tank

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Vinegar is good and TBH will cause no damage to your fish.
    It would take quite an amount of vinegar to change the water pH

Advertisement