Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer/scanner for Mac

Options
  • 14-03-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi guys, could any of you recommend a printer that's scans and doubles as a fax machine for a macbook? It's for printing CV's and the like mostly, personal use, and would like the printing to be of a good quality. It doesn't have to be to of the range, decent enough value and very reliable.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

HP do a lot of all-in-ones that print, scan and fax. Some of them are very cheap as well. But their Mac software is absolutely dreadful, so you may have to factor in the cost of a third-party alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I have a HP all in one which just will not work with Snow Leopard. Spent hours reading different forums and looking for solutions and I'm certainly not alone here. Worked fine with Leopard

Sad Professor is right, a fair chance you'll have software issues

Come to think of it, I still don't have a solution!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

@feelingstressed

Just install the HP drivers, that should be enough for the printer to work. Uninstall all the other crap, it can cause a lot of problems. For the scanner you'll probably need to get a third-party application such as VueScan. HP wireless scanning just doesn't work in my experience and is best forgotten about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thanks Sad Professor

In fact it was yourself who was giving me advice a few years back when I got my first mac :) Different username back then

I wasn't clear, it prints alright but you get lots of different errors when scanning with HP software, I'll check out Vuescan

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭geoffraffe

Thanks for the reply guys.

• Advertisement

I wasn't clear, it prints alright but you get lots of different errors when scanning with HP software, I'll check out Vuescan
    Yeah, I had similar problems. VueScan isn't the prettiest but it does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Talisman

Check if the product is supported since the latest driver update. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669#HP

If it is listed the download the latest HP drivers from the Apple website. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Restart the computer and go to System Preferences > Print & Fax. You should see the printer/fax/scanner listed.

Open Preview and select File > Import from Scanner in the main menu to scan.

Advertisement