Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studio security(peace of mind)

Options
  • 14-03-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Probably in the wrong forum but still music production related and Mods feel free to relocate if needed.
    Hey lads just wanted to pick a brain or two.I have a shed which has been converted to a music studio(still a working progress).It contains alot of high valued equipment and need some advice on what you might feel would be a decent security setup.It has one door which is a solid teak 5 lock system and one double-glazed window 4ft xby 4ft
    My studio is at the rear of the house.I was thinking of getting a high wattage floodlight and a cheap enough portable alarm that you can get from Argos to fit to the door and window.And i also have 2 dogs:).
    Any suggestions and ideas.
    Thx Jay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I have a Yale Wireless Alarm system (motion sensor and door/window sensors) and motion detector Security Lighting around our house..

Alarm was about 150 or so (depending on number of sensors), and the 500w motion sensing lighting were about 15 quid each.. All available from B&Q/Atlantic etc.

The security lights are great, they will light up the whole area if anyone walks in front of them.. But might be annoying if the dogs set them off constantly..

Amazon do cheaper Garden shed alarms for about 40 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I guess Insuring your gear might be an idea too, cover yourself for something other than theft, a water leak or a fire or something along those lines in the shed could also prove costly I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Am an electrician by trade...

I would stay away from security lighting since they are either (a) annoying most of the time or (b) lighting the way for the burglar the other times :confused:. Hardware stores are now stocking fake security cameras with batteries which might b an option..

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Neonlight

Thx for the responses and comments ,all good ideas.
    cheers
    jay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I'd say the dogs will deter them! If not, get a Rottweiler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

I use Eircom phonewatch. About €30 per month for piece of mind. I know there are other security companies who are even cheaper. It makes the insurance cheaper too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Rig your studio with a doomsday device. That is is the burglar can get past the dog, the lights, the alarms and every other security feature you've installed, you need a doomsday device to make the bsatard is not going to get away with it.

Typical pro-audio doomsday device: Container of petrol, with phosphorous distress flares - rigged to a piece of you hardware. A shake and bake. That way the thieve will go to lift your mixer - hear a whoomphf noise - of the initiator initiating - tilt their head in puzzlement and giving them just enough time to realise what's happening but not enough time to make a run for it. The shed will explode in a massive unsurvivable fireball - a mushroom cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

I suggest you get build sort of super high tech security room with pressure sensitive plates on the floor and a temperature gauge monitoring system. If the temperature in the room rises by 1 degree then the alarm sounds. Now, dont forget to add a big giant vent in the room with a air duct conveniently positioned over the main equipment. The air duct should be big enough for one man and Tom Crui the burglar to be able to repel and suspend themselves over your computer while they steal all of your gear! muhauahhhaaa....

or do as any redneck would do....

get a gun! :D

(sorry couldnt resist! :D )

In all seriousness, the alarm system you mentioned is ok as long as someone does something about it when the alarm goes off. I mean, alot of the time when an alarm goes off at night most people adopt the attitude of "f**k it, its not my problem!" and go back to sleep. If you are away when the alarm goes off well then theres no point in it really. If you are going for the alarm route, I suggest eircom phonewatch / equivalent service that will actually do something if the alarm goes off. Eircom ring your gaff first and if they dont get a response then they send Tommy Bogger-boy from the gards around to check on the situation.

Get it insured also. If you are willing to spend a ton of cash on the gear, I dont see how a few extra quid per month should be a big deal... :)

Advertisement