Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheque book query

Options
  • 14-03-2011 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Is a letter to my bank enough, or do i have to visit the branch in person? I want to open a savings account with a building society and im going to need a cheque with an opening amount fo them. I dnt think ive any other uses for the chequebook, do i get charged just for having it?

I'm with AIB.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

No need to get a cheque book. Just ask in the bank for a draft for the amount you need.
    you don't get charged for having a cheque book but you do pay a fee every time you issue a cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Thing is, im trying to avoid going to the bank as i dont really have alot of time over the next while, and was hoping to get this set up ASAP. Thats why im wondering does the bank issue cheque books that have ben requested through letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They need a sample signature so if this is your first chequebook you'll probably need to turn up in person.

If I was you I'd open the building society a/c with a token amount like 10 euros, then register the a/c on AIB and electronically transfer the money over.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

could take 10 days or more for a brand new cheque book

Ok folks, thanks for the replies. The €10 idea would be perfect, but they want me to open the account by sending them a cheque or draft, so im going to have to get it anyway. I'll just pop in then. Oh, would i be wasting my time not going to the branch i opened my account with? Or would that matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ok folks, thanks for the replies. The €10 idea would be perfect, but they want me to open the account by sending them a cheque or draft, so im going to have to get it anyway. I'll just pop in then. Oh, would i be wasting my time not going to the branch i opened my account with? Or would that matter?

Which building society is it? Can you not just walk into the branch and open the a/c with 10 euros? EBS will do that for you, they give free drafts and are generally not as hostile to small cash transactions as most institutions are nowadays.

It's EBS. I didn't know that, thanks a mill. Prob solved.

Advertisement