Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Paddy's Day Parade

Options
  • 14-03-2011 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

At last Swords is going to have a Paddy's Day Parade.......
    Swords Saint Patrick’s Day Parade 2011

This year there will be a St Patricks Day Parade in Swords – the first for many, many years. Swords le chéile has organised a very special day for families in the area. The Main Street and North Street will be closed from 11:00 am on Thursday morning until mid afternoon.

The Swords St Patricks Day Parade will start out from the Pavilions Shopping Centre car park at 12:30 and travel down Main Street and into North Street.

There will be an official reviewing stand outside the Star Lounge. Confirmed participants include an FCA Colour Party, Seamus Ennis Centre, Swords Boxing Club, Localise Swords, Swords Celtic F.C., Swords Cricket Club, Swords Cycle Club, Swords-Baldoyle Youth Service, Irish Girl Guides - Swords Branch, Kinsealy Boys F.C., Civil Defence with 8 vehicles, Sporting Fingal Powerchair Team, Swords Vintage Society, Airport Driving, Irish Military Vehicles, Fingal County Council, Street Ahead 12 hip-hop dancers, Fingal Mummers, Street Performers & Stilt walkers/ balloon modellers/Clowns, Fossets Circus with Clown car & Clowns, Sporting Fingal Power Chair Team – Disabled Sports, Association of Cameroonians in Ireland, Dogs Trust.

Swords will be bedecked with bunting and it is anticipated that there will be a truly festive atmosphere in Swords Town Centre during St Patricks week and particularly on St Patricks Day with many pubs and restaurants providing music sessions and special offerings for families. Swords le cheile and Fingal Dublin Chamber is asking all businesses in Swords to make a special effort to create a week long festival around St Patricks Day and to get customers and staff involved in making it a memorable week for the people of Swords.

“Bringing people who live and/or work in Swords together is the main aim of Swords le Chéile and we hope to generate a renewed sense of community for the many thousands of men, women living and working in the town.

The St Patricks Day Parade is a very special day to celebrate all that is best in Ireland – the food, the dancing, the people, the fun and craic. We want to revive the tradition in Swords by giving the many sporting and community organisations in the area the opportunity to participate in the parade.

After the parade there will be a Cheile Mor on Main Street for everybody to join in the fun. So everyone is invited to come along and get involved. There will be something for everyone young and old and we look forward to seeing you there”. Said Swords le chéile Chairman, Joe Harford.

Ends

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Files/Council/Press%20Release%20-%20Swords%20St%20Patricks%20Day%20Parade.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Where is the cricket club in Swords?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Where is the cricket club in Swords?

Thread in the cricket forum

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Also not to be pedantic but the FCA is dead and gone. The RDF (Reserve Defence Forces) will be providing a body of marching troops and a color party with the flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Anyone know what way the buses will run through Swords while main street is closed?

Found it: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Swords-St-Patricks-Day-Parade/

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Just wanted to congratulate the organisers and participants of the Parade. Was really great to see so many local kids taking part. Was very enjoyable and brilliant to see a great crowd turned up to support the efforts.

Well Done to all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 jeep

Thank You all involved with the Parade, great atmosphere:D Areal boost for Swords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

We popped up for a while, it was great. And no trouble. Well done to all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And no trouble

Why, were you expecting some?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

vicwatson wrote: »
    Why, were you expecting some?:)

The few times I've been out in Swords I've seen more trouble than I have in the city centre so yeah I was a bit worried that the usual drunken teenagers that take over Patrick's Day (everywhere, not just Swords) might ruin it for people. But thankfully that didn't happen and it was a great day for everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Daisy! wrote: »
    The few times I've been out in Swords I've seen more trouble than I have in the city centre so yeah I was a bit worried that the usual drunken teenagers that take over Patrick's Day (everywhere, not just Swords) might ruin it for people. But thankfully that didn't happen and it was a great day for everyone :)

I was in Swords during the day and as I was in work later I was not drinking. The landlords and pub owners must be still counting the takings from the day as I was in three pubs meeting/looking for people all were packed.

Didn't see any trouble other than a few irate punters in the Old Boro because they couldn't get a pint as there were only two bar staff on, cutbacks or just not expecting the crowd??

There was a good atmosphere about the town and met a lot of local people I hadn't seen for a long time. I think everyone is starting to crawl out after the long grey winter and the sour political depression is slowly fading as the days get longer.

One of the things I did notice were the amount of buggies around the town and pubs jeez Maclaren share prices must have gone up a few months ago. :)

The only bit of bad behaviour or downright antisocial activity I saw was that of a woman who changed a baby on the seat of the pub, then threw the soiled nappy onto the floor under the table.
    The toilet was less than 5m away and has I was informed, full baby changing facilities. She then calmly finished off her pint as did her partner/friend and left.

As the place was hopping busy someone quickly pounced on the empty table only to find the nice wee present the previous occupier had left.

Absolutely disgusting no breeding as my old nan would say which covered a multitude of sins. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Anybody have any pictures?? I was on duty with the Swords Unit of the Order of Malta itd be great too see any pics of us on duty for the parade. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Some Pics from the Parade,

94612634-8d4d-4b00-8f9d-2dd772f15c4b.jpg

c038283a-48ae-4b5a-b2fa-e08b69c69e29.jpg

c6c5d59c-b8ed-4d71-b0d4-3336980afe7a.jpg

135d4574-670a-4d66-b3ea-fae46304ff75.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭eggerb

Just wanted to congratulate the organisers and participants of the Parade. Was really great to see so many local kids taking part. Was very enjoyable and brilliant to see a great crowd turned up to support the efforts.

Well Done to all concerned.
    jeep wrote: »
    Thank You all involved with the Parade, great atmosphere:D Areal boost for Swords.
    Daisy! wrote: »
    We popped up for a while, it was great. And no trouble. Well done to all :)

I thought it was a great day too and a real feel good event for Swords. I've been meaning to send an e-mail to the organisers. I couldn't find any contact details for Swords le chéile Chairman, Joe Harford. However, the press release above seems to be on Fingal Chamber of Commerce's website (with their PR person's contact details) so I assume they'd be happy enough to pass on congrats. Their generic e-mail address is info@fingaldublinchamber.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭eggerb

It seems that the contact person on the press release is not the Chamber of Commerce PR Person but their CEO. He seems to be pretty involved with Swords Le Chéile so, I'm sure, more than happy to receive well deserved praise for the parade to the Fingal Chamber of Commerce e-mail address.

I wonder will they charge the Swords publicans a higher membership fee next year?!

Well done again to all involved.

Advertisement