Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHS Ambulances

Options
  • 14-03-2011 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen a white NHS Emergency Ambulance in years. ST John's still have white ones and as far as I know Non-emergency ambulances are still white. Fast response vehicles (the cars and 4x4s) are a mixture of white and yellow. I only see yellow Ambulances now.

Have white Emergency ambulances been phased out and if so when?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

Sorry,we dont have NHS here in ireland, if your looking for information on the NHS ambulances you might consider searching a British emergency services forum.
    but here in Ireland, they (white ambulances) are gradually been phased out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

ivabiggon wrote: »
    Sorry,we dont have NHS here in ireland, if your looking for information on the NHS ambulances you might consider searching a British emergency services forum.
    but here in Ireland, they (white ambulances) are gradually been phased out.

Ah, but we have the NHS here in Northern Ireland, so hopefully some Nordies will be able to answer my quiery.

If they are being phased out on your side of the border, the same probably has happened here too then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

They're being phased out on both sides of the border and in the rest of the UK by all accounts. You don't see many white ones there either any more (goign purely by youtube, forums, news, TV etc as clearly I don't live there). Seems a sensible approach, hi-vis yellow is easier to spot in a mirror and is safer.

Also...get rid of the L/ in Derry will ya, it's awful provocative ;)

Calm down PSNI, I can see you infracting me already...just humour :P

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Slightly OT, but what happened to the old Health Board ambulances - Ford Transits and the like?

It's been a while but was just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

searescue wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but what happened to the old Health Board ambulances - Ford Transits and the like?

It's been a while but was just wondering.

Some of the old HSE/ health board ambulances have been sold off to the voluntary ambulance services

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

sdonn wrote: »
    They're being phased out on both sides of the border and in the rest of the UK by all accounts. You don't see many white ones there either any more (goign purely by youtube, forums, news, TV etc as clearly I don't live there). Seems a sensible approach, hi-vis yellow is easier to spot in a mirror and is safer.

Also...get rid of the L/ in Derry will ya, it's awful provocative ;)

Calm down PSNI, I can see you infracting me already...just humour :P

I was going to write Stroke County, but left it as El Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Warrior011 wrote: »
    Some of the old HSE/ health board ambulances have been sold off to the voluntary ambulance services

Indeed. I thought it was strange a while back driving in our 01 Ford transit ex-HSE ambulance that we came across the very same HSE ambo model on a 999 call, but one year older. Ours is newer than some of those currently in service!

Quick question regarding ambulances, that someone can probalby answer easily enough, so I won't make a whole new thread. What's a "lifeline ambulance"? I seen one today near the Lourdes Hospital. Looked almost exactly like this;

2784800619_a969df5689.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Private Ambulance Provider

<mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It's not only in Ireland and the UK that white ambulances have been replaced with high vis yellow ones.

This has been done in quite a few continental countries as well and the logic behind it i exactly as has been mentioned allready : visibility. You'll also notice that the contours of the vehicles have been marked with some sort of reflective tape or paint if you see one your headlights at night.

P.S. If folks could just rename Stroke City and Stroke County to it's once used name of City of Derry in County Coleraine a lot of sore toes could be amputated ( and probably force other folk to grow an extra set :) )

• Advertisement
Advertisement