Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to make music at home but avoid mixing ?

Options
  • 14-03-2011 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

http://www.kvraudio.com/db/ezmix_by_toontrack_music

now Engineers will HATE this , and rightly so

but as a quick tool to get a sound its very good
    for those who wish to just make music and not worry about eq/ compressors etc.
    you still need to do a bit of panning etc and obviously volume balances.

ive tried it and its very good to quickly get a sound while writing
    and for a non techie muso its a god send.

just this , reaper , a decent interface and some headphones and you are away .

so
    bang up your demo at home with this until its as good as you can get it at home , this will allow you to evaluate if the song has potential .

then go record it in a real studio

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

i played with this a few times and its decent enough. its well above beginner level in the results it gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

DaDumTish wrote: »
    http://www.kvraudio.com/db/ezmix_by_toontrack_music

now Engineers will HATE this , and rightly so

What was it I was reading recently..."You only have your current job because they haven't developed a computer to do it yet". Something like that.

But I don't hate this product... :confused: It's a songwriting tool, not a studio replacement. I can't imagine any musician with an ounce of sense would presume this can replace a decent studio and engineer.

But I'd be very happy to hear that a band booked in with me were using this to record their songs at home first, refining their songs and sounds. That'd be great. If only all bands and musicians would do that! It might even let songwriters get quicker results and therefore more musicians into the studio. :) Optimism...

How does it work anyway? Is it simply a case of putting preset EQ curves and compression settings on tracks? Or does it analyze the audio and decide what frequencies to cut and boost? If it's the former I don't find that particularly impressive, but at least it's cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

What was it I was reading recently..."You only have your current job because they haven't developed a computer to do it yet". Something like that.

But I don't hate this product... :confused: It's a songwriting tool, not a studio replacement. I can't imagine any musician with an ounce of sense would presume this can replace a decent studio and engineer.

But I'd be very happy to hear that a band booked in with me were using this to record their songs at home first, refining their songs and sounds. That'd be great. If only all bands and musicians would do that! It might even let songwriters get quicker results and therefore more musicians into the studio. :) Optimism...

How does it work anyway? Is it simply a case of putting preset EQ curves and compression settings on tracks? Or does it analyze the audio and decide what frequencies to cut and boost? If it's the former I don't find that particularly impressive, but at least it's cheap.

its presets but it allows you some control of parameters (ie: amount of compression.. but not curve control or amount of high end but no frequency control)

absolutly no analyzing going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

From the video it doesnt look like its doing any analysis. I guess it just probably has enough presets to cover the most popular cuts and boosts for whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

ok, maybe not HATE it ;)

im just going by some of the forums that reviewed it , loads of engineers and die hards were kicking it to bits .

its just a set of vst presets , that take the guess work/ science out of processing for the inexperienced or non techie

great for songwriters , and it sounds very good for what it is.

lots of creative people do not want to know about eq and compression etc.
    they just want a sound .

myself , I plan on getting it to do quick mixes to shape a tune , then fine tune with better plugs and fine tuning later.

i think its worth it for the time saving in the writing process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement