Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another speed van set on fire

Options
  • 14-03-2011 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

just heard something on the radio about another speed camera van set on fire this morning nobody was hurt, hope this isnt staring to become a regular thing to happen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2011/0313/ireland/speed-camera-van-set-alight-in-wicklow-497139.html
    Speed camera van set alight in Wicklow

SpeedCameraVanNov152010INTERNAL.jpg
    13/03/2011 - 21:32:23
    A speed camera van has been set on fire tonight on the N11, about one kilometre from Arklow in Co. Wicklow.

The incident happened at around 7.30 and Gardaí say no one has been injured.

An investigating is now underway and Gardai in Gorey are appealing for anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the area to contact them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Now as much as I disagree with these vans.

This is another case of , a person lucky to still have there life after this.

There really are some serious headbangers out there, I really think people don't realise there is someone in there looking after the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

msg11 wrote: »
    Now as much as I disagree with these vans.

This is another case of , a person lucky to still have there life after this.

There really are some serious headbangers out there, I really think people don't realise there is someone in there looking after the equipment.

i say they do realise its just some people are serious screw balls,

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bloody animals. They'll have to start putting small cameras on all sides of the vans now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

What good would a camera be of it's set on fire?
    Surely the while thing would be destroyed

• Advertisement

it would allow the person inside to see what is going on around the vehicle on all sides so nobody can come up on a blind spot and set and the van alight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gazmic1

as far as I know they have cameras externally since the last arson attack. You can see them on the front and back of the van

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Cameras are no good against balaclavas.

It is a serious offence if these people are caught.

Endangerment
    13.—(1) A person shall be guilty of an offence who intentionally or recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of death or serious harm to another.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

(a) on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 7 years or to both.

Criminal Damage

2.—(1) A person who without lawful excuse damages any property belonging to another intending to damage any such property or being reckless as to whether any such property would be damaged shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) A person who without lawful excuse damages any property, whether belonging to himself or another—

(a) intending to damage any property or being reckless as to whether any property would be damaged, and

(b) intending by the damage to endanger the life of another or being reckless as to whether the life of another would be thereby endangered,

shall be guilty of an offence.

(3) A person who damages any property, whether belonging to himself or another, with intent to defraud shall be guilty of an offence.

(4) An offence committed under this section by damaging property by fire shall be charged as arson.

(5) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

(a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or both, and

(b) on conviction on indictment—

(i) in case the person is guilty of arson under subsection (1) or (3) or of an offence under subsection (2) (whether arson or not), to a fine or imprisonment for life or both, and

(ii) in case the person is guilty of any other offence under this section, to a fine not exceeding £10,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or both.

(6) For the purposes of this section a person is reckless if he has foreseen that the particular kind of damage that in fact was done might be done and yet has gone on to take the risk of it.

they may not do anything for balaclavas but it will alert the occupant of possible danger and it could save an operators life some day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What should the operator do exit the vehicle? Might be dangerous to do that to. Bit of a judgement call I would not want to make.

• Advertisement

Zambia wrote: »
    What should the operator do exit the vehicle? Might be dangerous to do that to. Bit of a judgement call I would not want to make.

true i never thought of that, it may help to warn of an impending danger to enable the driver/operator to driver out of the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

:D Ah I have it now these vans they do about 30 in reverse, reasonable and proportionate to a skanger with a petrol bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 M.Pellet

Zambia wrote: »
    :D Ah I have it now these vans they do about 30 in reverse, reasonable and proportionate to a skanger with a petrol bomb.

as long as the speed limit in the area is below 30 thats fine :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Chief--- wrote: »
    Cameras are no good against balaclavas.

It is a serious offence if these people are caught.
    [/I]

You can tag them with attempted murder as far as I'm concerned.

And I hate the bloody vans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Someone would want to be seriously bonkers to attempt to burn out a speed van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0509/speedvan.html

0004581b-314.jpg

Three men have been arrested as part of an investigation into a fire that caused extensive damage to a GoSafe-operated marked Garda mobile safety camera van in March.

The van was parked on the Gorey Road outside Arklow, Co Wicklow when it was set on fire on 13 March.

Gardaí carried out a number of searches this morning in the Gorey area.
    Two of arrested men are in their late teens, and are currently detained at Wexford Garda Station.

The third is a juvenile, and is being detained at Gorey Garda Station.
    All three are being detained under Section 4 of The Criminal Justice Act.

Good work lads

Advertisement