Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Fraud using debit/credit card

Options
  • 14-03-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

I noticed on our bank statement this morning

• 3 payments to a company I never heard of
    • Payment to some foreign hotel
    • 2 large debits at different Points of Sale
    • €799 at an apple store
    None of these are ours, all took place first week in March, some fu*ker seems to have bought an ipad. Went to bank who cancelled my debit/visa card and contacted fraud secrion in Dublin. They assure me that we should get it back.
    I have used my card online for ebay, play.com, O2 credit, littlewoods etc over the years, but thats it.

How do the bank know that it wasn't me? and can they trace who used it?

I really hope I get it back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

No idea on how to get it back, but first thing to do as you use it online is to run virus/spyware scans on ALL your PCs. If nothing is found then reformat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Very similar to this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/01/apple-identity-theft-credit-card_n_817267.html

Any locations on the transactions?. These guys were travelling across the country (hotel bill?).

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

yup like that

799 to apple
    45 to a german hotel
    189 to french train

bast@rds
    I'm so annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Fraud department will sort it out for you. In my experience they are quite good and quite quick also.

I hope so, mortgage due. I thought the girl in bank here said that I should hear from the fraud dept 'within 24hrs', but I haven't.
    Did I hear wrong?
    Or was she saying that she would hear from them?

Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I got done too. It was on my Visa bill this week

€799 Apple
    €399 French Rail
    €139 French Hotel

Very similar to mine!
    Apple are doing well out of it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

My sister got done last week also. She only ever used the card online, and at that rarely. Although she did run a scan after she found out and sure enough there was a virus. I thought the whole virus thing was just a big myth, and that security was just too tight for anybody to get your details from your pc. Im wrong obviously.

Scary biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

they don't get the details from your PC and it doesn't matter whether you use your card online or not (if you're just an average joe). hackers hack into a company with poor security, steal the credit card details of thousands of people, then sell them on (or not as the case may be), clone cards and then use them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

they don't get the details from your PC

Backdoor trojans, keyloggers..oh yes, they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Backdoor trojans, keyloggers..oh yes, they can.

of course they can, i'm just saying that 99% of the time, this is large scale fraud where details have been stolen en masse from one place, and not stolen from individuals PC by PC.

Advertisement