Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next August in Suck Valley.

Options
  • 14-03-2011 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello.
    Congratulations for the forum.
    I am an Italian fisherman with a passion for fishing for pike and your wonderful country.
    Next August I and my friend will come to fish for pike in the valley suck. Anybody know any good places for summer pike fishing on the river suck or several nearby lakes? you have any tips on baits to use during the summer (spoons, minnow, jerk, topwater ...).
    How do you expect the suck ;river levels in August? The last time we came was in September 2009 and almost drowning ...:eek::eek::eek:

Thank you all.

Fabio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Fabio,

This is a link to the shannon fisheries board which covers most of the region you will be fishing,

http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/coarse/suck-valley.htm

The river suck is one of the best pike rivers in the country it is not at it's best in the summer as it gets very weedy but definately worth fishing if the waters is not high from floods. If the water is low you can use jerkbaits and plugs or fly fishing,

remember you will need a Permit to fish the Suck and surrounding areas
    for one day it's 12 Euro, for 21 days it's 20 euros which will be best for you I think..you can buy online here...

http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/shopping/licences-online.htm

You can also keep a look at the Irish fishing reports here for pike etc closer to your holiday to get an idea of weather and water heights.

http://www.fishinginireland.info/update/archive/2011/mar03.htm#pike

Give Lough Ree on the River Shannon a try nearby good pike fishing also but you will need a boat to fish it best. Pike world cup on in April on this lake.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Is Donamon really any good for pike these days or is it overfished. I've only ever caught one tiny pike in it. It's rated "very good" for pike on the Shannon Fishery Board website but I have to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Is Donamon really any good for pike these days or is it overfished. I've only ever caught one tiny pike in it. It's rated "very good" for pike on the Shannon Fishery Board website but I have to disagree.

a lot of the guides are not updated and are inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

I know the suck valley really well.

Donamon is hit and miss. fantastic facilities but not over fished but I've never bagged on it. I've fished it a few times for pike and only hit jacks. I mainly coarse fish for bream/roach/rudd

Head to the source of the suck to lough O'Flyn if you want sport. You will need a boat which fisheries officer John Ryan can organise. Or you can contact the white house hotel in Ballinlough for a boat www.ballinloughhotel.com . During the summer the sport is in fly fishing for pike on O'flynn with loads of jacks. It has also produced a good few doubles this year and a few 20+. ALl pike must go back alive everywhere on the suck. O'Flynn as it's well monitored and you will need a license available from John Ryan.

Also worth a look is stonhams lake and blacks lake on the suck.

O'flynn also fishes well with smelt trolled slowly or ledgered but the fun is definitely light gear and the fly along the left side of the lake. It's a stocked trout lake if you fancy a bash at some good stockies as well.

PM me if you need more info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Macspower wrote: »
    I know the suck valley really well.

Donamon is hit and miss. fantastic facilities but not over fished but I've never bagged on it. I've fished it a few times for pike and only hit jacks. I mainly coarse fish for bream/roach/rudd

Head to the source of the suck to lough O'Flyn if you want sport. You will need a boat which fisheries officer John Ryan can organise. Or you can contact the white house hotel in Ballinlough for a boat www.ballinloughhotel.com . During the summer the sport is in fly fishing for pike on O'flynn with loads of jacks. It has also produced a good few doubles this year and a few 20+. ALl pike must go back alive everywhere on the suck. O'Flynn as it's well monitored and you will need a license available from John Ryan.

Also worth a look is stonhams lake and blacks lake on the suck.

O'flynn also fishes well with smelt trolled slowly or ledgered but the fun is definitely light gear and the fly along the left side of the lake. It's a stocked trout lake if you fancy a bash at some good stockies as well.

PM me if you need more info
    You sold it well there Macs :D
    Ah, it's all truth you said there. First day on O' Flynn got ourselves over 20 pike in less than 2 hours fishing. Most small but a good fight none the less, only problem with O' Flynn is boats are almost a necessity and I'd prefer more "comfortable" fishing on a river with a few lads. Now Donamon seems like the ideal spot and it is in every sense bar the ammount of pike in it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement