Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on loan over-payment

Options
  • 14-03-2011 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hopefully someone can give me some advice on this.
    Story is that i got a loan about 5 yrs ago of 4grand & then about a year
    later i got a top up on that loan of 6grand, the total amount advanced to me was agreed at 10grand.

So things went on for 5 yrs paying off the loan & recently i reduced my payments, as with the times with no work. But just the other week i realised that in the 5 yrs they never sent me a yearly statement, so i rang them & request a statement for every payment & i added up what they
    advanced to me & the total was just over 11grand.

I was wondering is this illegal? as them giving me more money will keep me in the loop for longer & get more interest of me. The Culprit is GE money.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Arciphel

OP did you consider the "extra" money you repaid could be the interest on the loan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Monolan

No it is not the interest, its the total amount of the lump sums they
    advanced to my bank account, it was in 3 sums over a yr, i have
    already payed 3grand back on interest, i cant believe its being so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Oh ok sorry I misunderstood you there, reread your post. So they lodged extra in your account against your wishes/without your knowledge? Sounds like similar rules as when an employer overpays wages, if you can show you didn't notice the error and no longer have the money then I would say you are in the right OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Look at the letter you got when you signed the loan to see the total amount of credit u were advanced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Monolan

Yeah the last letter i signed was for 10grand total amount advanced, but they advanced over 11grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement