Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there so many gold plated jack plugs if silver is the most conductive metal?

Options
  • 13-03-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I just read recently that silver is the most conductive metal, copper being the second most conductive. It got me thinking. I have seen so many jack plugs selling themselves as superior as they are gold plated. Apparently the worlds entire stock of gold could fit inside of 3 olympic sized pools. Are jack plugs, or anything else that are gold plated, just a gimmick? Discuss.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

It's a gold foil coating.........and you'd be surprised how far a little gold can stretch.

If people were serious about the signal integrity, they'd just solder the cables in, instead of using quarter in coated in gold, silver or whatever else crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Cmc29

krd wrote: »
    It's a gold foil coating.........and you'd be surprised how far a little gold can stretch.

If people were serious about the signal integrity, they'd just solder the cables in, instead of using quarter in coated in gold, silver or whatever else crap.

I understand how far gold can go. So are you saying it is a gimmick? I have never bought any gold plated cables. Always wondered what it was about.

Also is there any reason or benefit to why gold would be used as a coating?

Cmc29 wrote: »
    Also is there any reason or benefit to why gold would be used as a coating?

It means you've got bling.

Same with lots of expensive equipment it means you've got bling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Gold doesnt oxidise, so you you get a metal to metal low resistance contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

I guess it is to stop corrosion. Gold is pretty hard and a very good conductor so it's probably it is the best simple solution.

So weight of between oxidising and price? Is it worth it?

Gold doesnt oxidise, so you you get a metal to metal low resistance contact.

You know.... so does nickle.

If you're really concerned about conductivity - I've got some kryptonite plated leads.

Have you ever seen the inside of a female jack? - the vagina to the female quater inch? It's a dirty oxidised spring - in the industry it's known as the quarter inch clitoris.

If you're going to switch your jacks you've got to switch your jills too.

To quote Paul Brewer: "You do not poke a golden penis in a tin vagina.... do you?....No!......you need a golden vagina.....A golden penis belongs in a golden vagina"

I don't know - it's hard to tell with Paul. You never know when he's giving serious advice or he's trying to sell you ****.

I'm selling 8 carat leads, if you're afraid of people ripping you off - you can trust me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

'tin vagina' ......... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    'tin vagina' ......... ?

Certainly sir. here you go...

a96961vagina.jpg

googling that was quite a dangerous thing!:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Doge

A chain is as strong as its weakest link.

The weakest link in the audio cable, conductivity wise, is the tin / solder.

Putting a gold connector after the solder, in the signal chain, will do absolutely nothing to improve/boost the signal going into it.

Also theres about a 0.1% improvent from using OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) as opposed to normal copper audio cables.

The OFC cables usually are much thicker and have stronger connectors though, which is the only possible benefit of buying them imo.

Theres some very gimmicky marketing out there, and ridiculous over pricing, especially from the Monster Cable brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

brettzy wrote: »
    I guess it is to stop corrosion. Gold is pretty hard and a very good conductor so it's probably it is the best simple solution.
    Gold is actually one of the softer commonly used metals. It's only benefit is that it lowers electrical signal resistance somewhat and doesn't corrode.

Here's an excellent website that talks about what makes a good speaker or instrument cable.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/cords/index.php

Gold is actually seriously used in some electronics. It has some special conductive properties that I can't remember - it could be hysteresis - the length of time it takes the voltage to switch directions . It's used in high grade military spec electronic equipment.

I can't see any benefit in using it for musical equipment. It may cause problems - mixing and matching your metals may cause weird effects.

There is a bunch of cowboys who sell gold leads for about 1,000 - 1,500 a pop.

Some cables are better than others - less noisy. It's down to the co-axial cable wrap around the signal cable

But, kind of what's the point. There's an amp simulator on a little korg portostudio I have - it adds buzz and hum.

There's a french guy who has all this vintage roland equipment (808s, 909s, 303s) who makes kind of old style acid house music. He says use the cheapest cables available - he says they add something to the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

brettzy wrote: »
    Gold is pretty hard QUOTE]

No, just a good conductor that has very little oxidization

Advertisement