Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA P4, P5, P6, which paper should I do ?

Options
  • 13-03-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    I am looking at doing ACCA exams and as it happens I have exemptions that cover me for F1 - F9, which was as result of obtaining a business degree around 7 years ago. At the moment I am looking at doing one paper from P4, P5, P6 ? However as I haven't done accounting exam for around 7 years, my knowledge would not be up to date on current accounting rules. Thus I feel I am at a disadvantage as P4, P5, P6 examine subjects at a more advance stage. I was wondering could people give me advice on what papers i.e P4, P5, P6 would be easier to tackle ? without needing alot of knowledge on what was previously covered in F1 - F9. Any responses much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

What have you been doing since getting your degree? Would you have a better prior knowledge of one area over another?

Also are you intending on taking P1, P2 and P3 in June with one of the electives? Would it not be better to take the required Ps first in June then take the two electives in December. Rather than taking 4 exams in June then (hopefully) one in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Hi i would prefere do one of the electives first and only sit this exam in june. since graduating i have been doing admin work, thus this work wouldn't cover any accounting material. Any other responses much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lucylu19

Whiz.. you might need to double check.. but as far as I know you have to P1-P3 first.. or at least pay to sit the exams(and not show up) to sit one of the elective one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shepparr

You definitely have to pass P1-P3 before you can sit the optional P4-P7 papers. Otherwise you have to pay for whichever P1-P3 exam fee and just not turn up, if you want to sit an optional paper on its own

You must have completed or be completing P1 to P3 in the same exam session in order to sit the P options. It's one of the ACCA progression rules.

If you're only going to take 1 and haven't taken an exam in years, P1 is theory based and has a reasonable percentage of people passing it 51% last sitting. P3 might be doable either. For P2 you're probably going to have to review the syllabus of at a minimum F7 and maybe even F3, it's quite technical and there's been significant changes to the accounting standards since you were in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

thanks guys

whiz

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭greenketchup

shepparr wrote: »
    You definitely have to pass P1-P3 before you can sit the optional P4-P7 papers. Otherwise you have to pay for whichever P1-P3 exam fee and just not turn up, if you want to sit an optional paper on its own

Don't think this is accurate, maybe i'm misunderstanding.. Some of the compulsory P's have to be completed before you do the elective, for example i think P1 has to be completed before you do P7 (i think) but you don't have to do all the P compulsory's before you start the electives, i did P2 then P1 and P4 together, then P3 and P6, so you can mix it up

Don't think this is accurate, maybe i'm misunderstanding.. Some of the compulsory P's have to be completed before you do the elective, for example i think P1 has to be completed before you do P7 (i think) but you don't have to do all the P compulsory's before you start the electives, i did P2 then P1 and P4 together, then P3 and P6, so you can mix it up

You must do the compulsories before or at the same time as the electives. The only way around this is to pay for any remaining compulsories but not show up for the exam.

From the ACCA global websie
    Papers must be taken in line with the following module order, however you can attempt the papers within each module in any order:

Knowledge (F1-F3) – available by computer-based exam (CBE) or paper-based format
    Skills (F4-F9) – available by paper-based format
    Essentials (P1-P3) – available by paper-based format
    Options (P4-P7) – available by paper-based format
    If your status allows you to enter for papers across modules, please remember that you must complete the papers in order and enter for outstanding papers in your current module if you wish to enter to sit papers in the next module.

P1-P3 are a different module to P4-P7

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭eimearnid

Advertisement