Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 7D newbie (memory card)

Options
  • 13-03-2011 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All,

Expecting delivery of the Canon 7D soon can anyone tell me which type of memory card I need including speed and capacity cos it takes video too.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Get the fastest biggest CF card you can.
    If you are shooting in RAW + Jpeg, memory goes very quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You want Class 6 as a bare minimum, ideally class 10. You'd also want 16GB at least, because the bitrate on the Canons is quite large, off the top of my head I think you'd fit about 50 minutes of video onto a 16GB card.

It is not going to be cheap, but you don't want to skimp on the card, if it's not fast enough your videos could be messed up, and the cheaper cards have a habit of dying and needing to be replaced, making it more expensive in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 snappy prints

Ok Thanks for the advise! I will get a least a 16 GB card and look at class 6 or 10 cards never heard of them until now. I take it that there is no problem putting photos and video on the same card. I am well used to lightroom and photoshop but have not got a clue how to process videos could anyone recommend a video editing programme that is easy to use.

Thank you for your help......

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DP Kilcullen

I'd have to agree you'd definitely need 10 with 16Gb minimum

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I use a 32GB Kingston Elite Pro 133X with my 7D and it works great. The RAW files on the 7D are about 25MB and 12 minutes of video is 4GB. You won't be long filling it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭relichd

Ok Thanks for the advise! I will get a least a 16 GB card and look at class 6 or 10 cards never heard of them until now. I take it that there is no problem putting photos and video on the same card. I am well used to lightroom and photoshop but have not got a clue how to process videos could anyone recommend a video editing programme that is easy to use.

Thank you for your help......

As for the video, that depends on what system you use. If it's Mac OS then you can do nice things in iMovie or going pro with Final Cut.With Windows PCs... Well, I have no clue, sorry! Oh yes, Sony Vegas Pro. My friend uses it and says it's a great tool. Not sure with the price, though and -from what I saw- Vegas Pro is a bit more complex for a complete novice. I was quite overwhelmed by all the features it offers. On the other hand, it looked like it takes twice the time to do the same thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

could anyone recommend a video editing programme that is easy to use.

If you have a mac then get Final Cut Pro. No doubt are hesitations there, it is a brilliant program. The PC choices are less obvious. Avid, Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas are the big ones. Avid is used in a lot of the big budget/professional production facilities but it is not user friendly at all. Personally my favourite is Premiere, and I don't know anything about Vegas other than that I don't hear much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

Final Cut Pro is damn expensive, tho. I shot this mostly on the 7d, with additional footage from the Kibera guys shot on Kodak zi8 and Flip.

Edited it in Final Cut Express, which is lighter if you're using a laptop and a lot less expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Just to add my experience of getting cards, I found that 7dayshop.com was great for value. I have a 133x 16gb card and it's fine although some of the smaller cards are handy to swop over. Don't get only one card, if it corrupts or gets lost you could lose a days work. I find my 8 & 4 gb cards very handy. Of course if you shoot allot of video your needs will be different.

Cionn
    Also try mymemoryc.com and www.shop4memory.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Sorry if i'm being rude, but the initial question absolutely baffles me.

You just spent over a grand on a new camera, without checking something as simple as what kind of memory it uses?

I thought there was a recession in Ireland! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

http://http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/Integral/Integral-16GB-Ultima-Pro-SD-Card-%28SDHC%29---Class-10

From their email today, a class 10, 16 gig sdhc card for £20. Delivery is £2 I think. I have used this site before and they are great

Advertisement