Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i move schools next Sep. so i can skip T.Y?

Options
  • 13-03-2011 9:06pm

I'm in 3rd year at the moment
    T.Y is compulsory in my school and i am dreading it. All of my friends ''can't wait for ty.''
    i know people in ty at the moment an they're doing nothing, and they still haven't a clue what their going to do in college/university.

If ty was optional in my school i would definately skip it, but its not.
    I'm one of the oldest in my class so i don't need the year to ''mature.''
    theres only 4 weeks of work experience during the ty year and usually one/two outings

I would have to move to a different school out of town. Would it be very hard to settle into a new school with different teachers and different students?

I just want to get on with my life and not press the pause button for a year

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I did switch, if it's what works for you and you really feel so strongly then switch. I'd say you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Im on the same boat as you. In my school you can skip ty but you will have to do pass in maths irish ..... All my friends cant wait. Its just a wasted year to me 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

If you want to switch schools then go for it. If you're certain what you want to do in college or your future, then by all means, don't waste a year.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I did switch, if it's what works for you and you really feel so strongly then switch. I'd say you'll be grand

You switched schools before?
    Is it difficult to fit in after being so used to your old school?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You switched schools before?
    Is it difficult to fit in after being so used to your old school?

I enjoyed the change personally and it was nice meeting a whole new bunch of people. I'm still best friends with girls from the first secondary school I was at
    You've only been in your old school 3 years, it hasnt been forever :)

• Advertisement

does anyone else have any good/bad experiences in Ty or moving schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

Darragh12 wrote: »
    Im on the same boat as you. In my school you can skip ty but you will have to do pass in maths irish ..... All my friends cant wait. Its just a wasted year to me 

Hi Darragh. I'm curious about your comment. Are you saying that in your school, if a student chooses to skip the transition year, the school will then force them to do pass level leaving cert in both maths and Irish? - regardless of their academic ability? Hopefully I am reading this incorrectly.

By the way, I am well past my school days, and did not do transition year while I was there. However, I was just browsing this forum for interest.

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Hi Darragh. I'm curious about your comment. Are you saying that in your school, if a student chooses to skip the transition year, the school will then force them to do pass level leaving cert in both maths and Irish? - regardless of their academic ability? Hopefully I am reading this incorrectly.

By the way, I am well past my school days, and did not do transition year while I was there. However, I was just browsing this forum for interest.
    I might have mislead you a bit .. If you choose to skip ty you have to do pass in all subjects. Your subjects are also chosen for you. Its just to accomodate people who want to leave school as quickly as possible with a leaving cert. Our guidance councilller described it as an opyion for weak student.. For students who want to skip ty and do the subjects they want in the level they want would have to go to a different school or just put up with ty . I hope that explains it better :)

I might have mislead you a bit .. If you choose to skip ty you have to do pass in all subjects. Your subjects are also chosen for you. Its just to accomodate people who want to leave school as quickly as possible with a leaving cert. Our guidance councilller described it as an opyion for weak student.. For students who want to skip ty and do the subjects they want in the level they want would have to go to a different school or just put up with ty . I hope that explains it better :)

That is so ridiculous :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

Gosh - that really is not a good way to do things.

There may be very valid reasons why a student may want to finish school in five rather than six years. For example, if they planned to take a lenghty course at university, such as medicine, dentistry etc - which require all honours subjects! Students should certainly get some work experience for these courses, but could do so during school holidays, perhaps better than transition year.

Some parents may not be in a position to finance the various trips and activities involved.

This approach could also lead to a student who struggled, but was capable of perhaps one or two honours subjects, taking all pass just to get out of the system - and being held back for life :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I skipped TY because it was optional and went straight into 5th year. If it had been compulsory to do it I would have moved school. I too think it is an absolute waste of a year. So I think you should move if thats what you want to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

If I could go back in time I would have moved after 3rd year OP. I'm also one of the oldest in my year, I still would have been 18 for my first year of college. It was a waste of a year academically (I learnt a lot about myself, but that was just the year that was in it, same things would have happened had I skipped it). If you don't have any real ties to the school just go. I didn't like my friends/teachers/school then, I still don't like it now.

If I could go back in time I would have moved after 3rd year OP. I'm also one of the oldest in my year, I still would have been 18 for my first year of college. It was a waste of a year academically (I learnt a lot about myself, but that was just the year that was in it, same things would have happened had I skipped it). If you don't have any real ties to the school just go. I didn't like my friends/teachers/school then, I still don't like it now.

if I stay, I know I'm going to ask myself everyday "what would it have been like if I moved school"
    but at the moment im thinking "what if moving schools ends up being a disaster"
    im really confused. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

jeepers I can hardly believe this one. What planet does this school operate from. So you could get all A/Bs in JC, decide for whatever personal/financial reasons to skip TY, and you have to do all pass subjects and subjects that are chosen for you !!!

I'm long past school and only on this page checking out things for my son doing TY next year. I'm curious why you think its such a wasted year although with the rest of the strange things your school does, I'm guessing they don't put too much effort in TY studies either.

My son's school has a full programme for the year and includes a massive volume of activities, homework, trying out potential LC subjects, Gaisce awards, charity work plus the work experience modules. They are constantly working on projects and have homework all the time. I can see such a massive amount his cousin has learnt this year in TY. They don't do the overseas trips which most schools seem do to either, but they do loads of local and national trips with the idea that they learn their own county/country and rest of their lives to travel internationally - the `cultural' benefits of which are dubious at TY level anyway.

I can fully see why you'd want to change school with this type of messing going on but what about going to a school with a good TY programme.

If a school properly runs a TY it can be incredible, a school near where I am were literally exhausted with the level of work they had to put in. The thing is to never believe what the school says you will do, ask at least 10 current TY students, then you will get an accurate idea of what the year is like. We had no homework, minimal projects and no trips anywhere, not even in our city. So we did nothing all year effectively outside of one o

• Registered Users Posts: 15 NnaYllek

jeepers I can hardly believe this one. What planet does this school operate from. So you could get all A/Bs in JC, decide for whatever personal/financial reasons to skip TY, and you have to do all pass subjects and subjects that are chosen for you !!!

I'm long past school and only on this page checking out things for my son doing TY next year. I'm curious why you think its such a wasted year although with the rest of the strange things your school does, I'm guessing they don't put too much effort in TY studies either.

My son's school has a full programme for the year and includes a massive volume of activities, homework, trying out potential LC subjects, Gaisce awards, charity work plus the work experience modules. They are constantly working on projects and have homework all the time. I can see such a massive amount his cousin has learnt this year in TY. They don't do the overseas trips which most schools seem do to either, but they do loads of local and national trips with the idea that they learn their own county/country and rest of their lives to travel internationally - the `cultural' benefits of which are dubious at TY level anyway.

I can fully see why you'd want to change school with this type of messing going on but what about going to a school with a good TY programme.

I was told all that before I started TY, it was all bull**** to be quite honest with you. But that was just my school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

NnaYllek wrote: »
    I was told all that before I started TY, it was all bull**** to be quite honest with you. But that was just my school

ya but the difference is that I know its all true cos his cousin is already doing all this in TY year this year and I've seen the volume of work and the confidence he has gained from it. I do agree that alot of things a school tells potential 1st years and TY students is alot of hype sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Seriously, it depends on the school you are in. My school is great when it comes to TY. I have done so many work experiences this year and I have really learnt lots of valuable skills such as first aid. I have completed the Presidents Award and I have found out about so many different careers that I never knew existed! by the sounds of it, your son's school has a good TY programme so it wouldn't be a waste of a year. Especially, if you get a chance to try out potential leaving cert subjects - all the better! I got to try out lots of new subjects...and in my school, TY is definitely not a "doss" year. We get homework and projects which take up so much time. So I find that I actually don't have that much time on my hands which I guess is a good thing because then getting back in to 5th year won't be half as bad!

Also, my school don't do the over sea trips either. We go to Delphi for a week...and then we had a few day trips to places in Monaghan or Glendalough. Overall I have hugely enjoyed ty. It has been a fantastic experience and I would highly recommend for your son to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

i dont suggest skiping but use the year to brush up on languages oe maths ect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I feel the same. I would be perfectly happy to move on to fifth year after Junior Cert. were it not for the fact that all of my friends are doing TY. Initially, I opted for fifth year but I'm considering changing to prevent the isolation that would beckon if I were to do fifth year.

I really think more of an effort should be made to accomadate students who wish to continue with the "serious" side of school. I think I'll be very bored in TY but I would feel even worse were I to do fifth year without my friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

I'm in 3rd year at the moment
    T.Y is compulsory in my school and i am dreading it. All of my friends ''can't wait for ty.''
    i know people in ty at the moment an they're doing nothing, and they still haven't a clue what their going to do in college/university.

If ty was optional in my school i would definately skip it, but its not.
    theres only 4 weeks of work experience during the ty year and usually one/two outings

I would have to move to a different school out of town. Would it be very hard to settle into a new school with different teachers and different students?

I just want to get on with my life and not press the pause button for a year

If you put your case to the school - your age - they may let proceed to 5th year directly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭IQDENIED

if you think your mature think again... I wouldn;t bring up maturity as an arguement. maturity does not exist,it's a myth, who am I to tell you how mature or immature you are? unless you're a cheese. does it go by age or wha?

IMO TY sucked and made the remainding years suck too... Why?

TY is a year to slack and I went to a well known fee-paying school where they had an excellent TY project...
    I got kicked off the drama/play/show what have you by false accusations, as a reward I mooned the drama teacher... true story kinda lead the way for some behavioural problems. I mean who the **** in their right minds wants to go on school tours lead by your teachers, at 16/17 :rolleyes:

some find it hard to reimmerse themselves within academic studies afterwards, I know I did and others in my peer group. being a young adult in 6th year (18-19) can be soul destroying, you want to make a start in adulthood yet you have to listen to some boring tosser talk about his love of rocks just so you can get points to study what you love, saving animals i.e. be a vet. half way thru 6th yr we nearly took down the building. looking back, I was w/o doubt James Dean ;)

If your parents let you skip I'd say do it I know I would given that oppurtunity again!

Thought id give an update for any future 3rd years wanting to skip TY:D

In the end, I did TY.
    Mainly because the other school near me were full and I didn't like the thought of moving schools, neither did my parents
    As funding has greatly been reduced in the whole education department, a number of cut backs have been made to the TY programme in my school. e.g not getting to try out certain subjects.

So far, the year has been boring. I've done no homework at home, have been getting it all done in school.
    We have gone on one tour already, it was very good and we are planning another tour for later this month.

The annoying thing is, that my school will be making TY optional within the next two years:mad:

Looking back, I wish i skipped. To anyone who's reading this who has doubts about doing TY, just skip it - as long as your old enough.

Since im doing it now, i might as well make the most of it. I can always use the year to brush up on my weaker subjects that il need for next year.

Thanks for all the replies guys. It helped a lot ;)

Originally Posted by Dazza
    I might have mislead you a bit .. If you choose to skip ty you have to do pass in all subjects. Your subjects are also chosen for you. Its just to accomodate people who want to leave school as quickly as possible with a leaving cert. Our guidance councilller described it as an opyion for weak student.. For students who want to skip ty and do the subjects they want in the level they want would have to go to a different school or just put up with ty . I hope that explains it better
    Originally Posted by Dazza
    I want to update on this. I decided to do TY. I didnt like the thought of moving schools making new friends etc... There was 5 from my year which moved schools tho. I'm regretting not moving . The year is very boring . Our school cant afford to do anything with us and i'm bored out of my mind. The amount of movies we watched last month was unbelievable . I don't think i've got homework yet and the only thing I look forward to in the week is 'Forensics' because we watch CSI. I guess its still not too late to move school but the effort ... :/ The thought of doing ty like this for the next 8 or 9 months is daunting :( Fml..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭P H A 7V T O M

If you have the cajones, why not?

Big ass cajones, by the way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

So far, the year has been boring. I've done no homework at home, have been getting it all done in school.
    Dazza wrote: »
    I don't think i've got homework yet ...

Just out of interest, would TY be better for you two if you had homework? :confused: I teach TY's and we generally try to do different things rather than the usual. Giving homework and spending the next class correcting it is the easy way. It's much harder to come with new ideas for every class. I'll give my lads lots of homework tomorrow so!

As for the boredom - could you not spend the year concentrating on something other than academic stuff? New hobby or language or something?

Just as a note for anyone else in the same position. My school is a TY compulsory sort of place too, but I have known of a few who asked nicely and were old enough so they were let skip.

dory wrote: »
    Just out of interest, would TY be better for you two if you had homework? :confused: I teach TY's and we generally try to do different things rather than the usual. Giving homework and spending the next class correcting it is the easy way. It's much harder to come with new ideas for every class. I'll give my lads lots of homework tomorrow so!

Most of the work we do in class is stuff that is nearly easier than what we did last year.
    Me personally, i would prefer to be challenged and do new stuff this year. But im in a minority and most people would just rather just sleep, doss and mess.
    Some classes are interesting. e.g science and maths (sometimes for maths we do leaving cert ord. and high. L.C questions and we do get homework once a week which is grand)
    Then there's other subjects where we have got no homework at all in and each class is nearly the same stuff repeated over and over again. Your just given work and do it, or else your lying there listening to a teacher rambling on about OS maps or ''An aiseanna i mo cheantar'' for 35mins. It just makes you think, ''what's the point?''
    students want the teacher to keep the class as interesting as possible and learn new things at the same time.
    As for the boredom - could you not spend the year concentrating on something other than academic stuff? New hobby or language or something?

its at school where i feel bored. I have taking up a new sport and started a new instrument which is keeping me busy outside school. I also plan to start improving my french this year to prepare for L.C. as it certainly won't improve in school.
    I also have the Gaisce awards aswell which will keep me a bit busy.
    Just as a note for anyone else in the same position. My school is a TY compulsory sort of place too, but I have known of a few who asked nicely and were old enough so they were let skip.

If i could have done that I wouldn't. I'd get some very strange looks and about a million questions.
    If a couple of people skipped with me, then I'd do it as I wouldn't be the only one.

Homework isn't the issue, the work in class is just mind numbingly easy, when in fact it should be really hard and interesting because theres time.
    As for concentrating on other things, I was still up at 7 am and home at 5, just nothing got done in the intervening hours. I was equally if not more tired than I am now (6th year). There was no time to take up new things any more than there is now.
    As for languages in school btw, teachers should be doing non stop oral in class, none of this bull**** going back over junior cert. I'd kill to have had that year spent on oral.

Advertisement