Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with my attention span

Options
  • 13-03-2011 8:37pm

I have real trouble writing due to my fluctuating attention span. I've had this story in my head for years and I just can't seem to get it onto paper because I keep losing focus and going away for a couple of months only to return and realise I can't remember where I was going in the story!
    I have a general idea of what I want to happen. I've written out plans, character files, constructed a backdrop; basically I've been constructing an entire fictional world to fit around a book that's still nothing more than a dream!
    It's endlessly frustrating and I feel like I'm stuck in a vicious cycle of writing and procrastinating that will lead me nowhere. It's not even like I can forget about the story because it's really become important to me. I really want to get it out of my head and onto paper but am hampered by my own inability to concentrate on anything for a long time.
    Do other people have this problem? How is one supposed to cope with something like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

You won't like this, but the only way is to keep writing it until it's all on paper. Sit down every single day and write for a set time/number of words (one hour or 1000 words is good) and keep doing this every day until the story is down. Some days will be hard, and you won't want to, and sometimes you'll be convinced you have no idea what to write. But if you give yourself no option but to sit and write, you'll be surprised how fast that story gets onto paper.

Ignore writer's block (which I don't believe in), excuses, all the rest, and just get the story down. Then you can take a break from it. When you go back, you'll see what bits need work and know how to fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MarkfromMann

Eileen is ofcourse correct.
    The clue to becoming a writer is the word it self. WRITE.
    You cannot be a writer if you do not write.
    Its hard. And its painful. But its about writing something everyday. As much as you can. As best as you can. You might spend an hour or two and write complete trash. But atleast it may have moved your story on. Or brought in a new character or scene. Its down. And its solid. And it can be altered and changed during the editing. But getting it out is the most important bit. Just keep writing.
    There is a quote I remember reading that went something along the lines of; 'to be a writer, you must sit at a desk and open your veins, to see what comes out.' Forgive me if thats incorrect, but even butchered and misquoted, it makes sense... writing is hard. But to be a writer you must write.
    Have your mind open 24hours a day, creating scenarios and ideas and conversations... be thinking about your story all day, everyday, and you will find that sometimes you cant wait to sit down and write, as you suddenly have so much to say. Never switch off from the writing. Always be thinking about it, whenever and however you can. In the supermarket watch people. Listen to lyrics in songs. Be a literary magpie, open to the bright and shiny ideas that you pass every day.
    Writing is very much like painting. You may not get it right first time, infact you wont get it right first time, but thats what the delete and 'cut and paste' functions are for. Its all about preparing the canvas, studying the subject, tracing rough drafts, maybe making mini mock portraits, practicing your lines, and your colours. You might go over and over the same lines many times, and you may completely change your mind about what colours to use, but eventually you will all see it coming together, and there is no greater feeling.
    It will be worth it in the end when you see it hanging in the Tate I promise.

Write, write, write, until its right.
    Edit till you get it.

With regards to distractions. I pesonally make my wife bring the internet connection to work with her. I no longer read newspapers, and for the time being I am not reading any books. My theory being, if I have time to read, I have time to write. I never watch television anyway, and at my age now, football and rugby is no go... so every spare minute is dedicated to my writing. I remember once reading about a writing course, attended by lots people in England somewhere. They had paid a lot of money to be on this course, and as they waited for the lecturer (who was an author - cant remember his name I'm afraid) they soon realised he was late. Ten mins late. Twenty mins. An hour late. But they waited. And eventually he arrived.
    "So you all wat to be writers then?" he asked the disgruntled crowd.
    There was a few nods, and a few positive replies and grunts.
    "Then what the f**k are you doing sat here. Go home and write."
    And that was the course finished.
    Probably not true. Maybe just a writers myth, but a nice story all the same, and it pretty much sums up the answer to kyedhen question.

If you want to be a writer, then write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Howdy,

Could you tell your story in a screenplay?

Would take less time to produce and might scratch the itch.

Having a good idea, plot etc is only a part of being a sucessful writer. Being able to write is so much more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

OP hasn't posted on their own thread in a couple of days - wasn't joking about the attention span then :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

tl;dr

/runs away cackling

• Advertisement
Advertisement