Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a tablet PC.

Options
  • 13-03-2011 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

iPad is out of the question, as I loathe apple products. I can't get a Galaxy tab either, as it's too expensive. What tablet PC should I get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I wanted the flexibility of a laptops hardware but with the convenience of a touch-screen tablet for on the go, so I got both!

IMG_4284.JPG

Acer 1825ptz

Model
    Acer Aspire 1825PTZ
    CPU Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.3GHz SU4100, OS Windows 7-64bit, ,RAM 3GB, HDD 320GB, Screen 11.6" LED back lit, 8Hrs Battery life.

Unboxing vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbmFONhMeNQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SillyDan

god's toy wrote: »
    I wanted the flexibility of a laptops hardware but with the convenience of a touch-screen tablet for on the go, so I got both!

IMG_4284.JPG

Acer 1825ptz

Model
    Acer Aspire 1825PTZ
    CPU Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.3GHz SU4100, OS Windows 7-64bit, ,RAM 3GB, HDD 320GB, Screen 11.6" LED back lit, 8Hrs Battery life.

Unboxing vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbmFONhMeNQ
    How much does it cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭colm21

The new Dell Duo looks really good, laptop & tablet in one it costs about 549 euros on dell website.

All the stuff suggested looks good, but I'm looking for more of a portable tablet, like the galaxy tab, as I've already got a laptop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm looking forward to asus' upcoming tablets, not sure whether they'll be good/bad as they haven't been released.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/asus-tablet-lineup-preview-slider-transformer-memo-and-slate/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

SillyDan wrote: »
    How much does it cost?

about 550 euros now I think.

Funny you say you looking for a tablet, um it is one when you fold the screen back.

But I get what your looking for, maybe something like this:

(hmm note : not heard wonderful things about the CPU powering it... is why I went for a Dual Core)

602039.jpg

Specifications
    Product Description
    MSI WindPad 100W-005NL - Atom Z530 1.6 GHz - 10.1" TFT

Manufacturer Warranty
    2 years warranty

Dimensions (WxDxH)
    27.4 cm x 17.3 cm x 1.9 cm

Weight
    0.8 kg

Processor
    Intel Atom Z530 / 1.6 GHz

Hard Drive
    32 GB Solid State Drive

Networking
    Network adapter - Bluetooth, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n

RAM
    2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics Controller
    Intel GMA 500 Shared Video Memory (UMA)

Audio Output
    Sound card

Display
    10.1" LED backlight Multi-Touch TFT 1024 x 600 ( WSVGA )

Input Device
    Touch-screen

Battery
    2-cell

Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition

Built-in Devices
    Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial, Bluetooth aerial

System Type
    Tablet PC - slate

Card Reader
    Yes

Run Time (Up To)
    6 hour(s)

Notebook Camera
    Integrated - 1.3 Megapixel

Microsoft Office Preloaded
    Includes a pre-loaded image of select Microsoft Office 2010 suites. Purchase an Office 2010 Product Key Card or disc to activate preloaded software on this PC.

iPad is out of the question, as I loathe apple products. I can't get a Galaxy tab either, as it's too expensive. What tablet PC should I get?

I hate apple products too for all the lockdown / control aspects that they enforce but I have to say that in the case of tablets the ipad is way ahead of anything else out-there in terms of usability, battery life and price/performance ratio that there is no real competitor in the same price bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

glasso wrote: »
    I hate apple products too for all the lockdown / control aspects that they enforce but I have to say that in the case of tablets the ipad is way ahead of anything else out-there in terms of usability, battery life and price/performance ratio that there is no real competitor in the same price bracket.

Yeah, I recently had a brief look into this and that was my conclusion too. The xoom looks nice but to be honest the iPad2 looks better. I had a quick look at some of the cheaper tablets knocking about and they all sound ghastly. And the end of the day the iPad2 was looking like the best device by a comfortable margin and it was only my preference for Android that was holding things in balance.

SillyDan, have you used an iPad?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

glasso wrote: »

Also my conclusion. I do own some Apple devices, but not out of any brand loyalty or anything - they just ticked the boxes for me at the time. I don't hate them or love them for the sake of it.

I ended up getting a second hand iPad 16GB a few weeks ago for €300, having tested a few Android ones as well. The best Android tablet I tested was an Archos 101 tablet, but it still just wasn't as nice to use and would have cost about the same. Some of the cheaper tablets were appalling - especially the ones with a resistive touch screen. Even getting around the OS was bad enough; I can't imagine what they'd be like for typing anything longer than a URL.

I was nearly hoping to be swayed by an Android one, but the iPad just felt better constructed and the screen far nicer to use.

• Advertisement

I haven't used one but the Xoom looks like it's at least trying to compete with the iPad. It's expensive though, $600 in the US.

Eoin, I agree, it's not even worth considering something with a resistive screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Archos 10.1 anyone? An Android tablet.

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/index.html?country=ie&lang=en

about 300€ (8GB)

Archos 10.1 anyone? An Android tablet.

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/index.html?country=ie&lang=en

about 300€ (8GB)

It's not bad at all; probably the best android tablet I tested. But I didn't think it was as good as the iPad. I would probably would have gone for it if it was considerably cheaper than the iPad, but they were too close in price for me and the iPad screen just felt so much nicer to use. That said if you're an apple hater and just can't bring yourself to buy one, then it's probably a good option.

I see ZTE have a 10" tablet coming out (the Light 10). If they price as competitively as they priced the Blade then it'll be a clear winner. Won't arrive until July at the earliest though. Thankfully I'm in no hurry.

Zab wrote: »
    Yeah, I recently had a brief look into this and that was my conclusion too. The xoom looks nice but to be honest the iPad2 looks better. I had a quick look at some of the cheaper tablets knocking about and they all sound ghastly. And the end of the day the iPad2 was looking like the best device by a comfortable margin and it was only my preference for Android that was holding things in balance.

SillyDan, have you used an iPad?
    I've used one before, when I was staying at a friends for the night. I must admit, it was cool, but I don't think it's worth the price. I've heard about a new tablet coming out, the Blackberry Playbook, it has USB ports, HDMI port, 3MP front facing camera, 5MP camera on the back, and I think it has flash too. I might get that if it's good.

http://www.blackberryplaybookprice.net/

Seems very expensive for a 7" screen if that site is accurate. Also seems a strange size for such a device. Too big for a phone, and a little small for a tablet.

I think that loads of apple products are overpriced, but ive not really seen anything else that makes the iPad look that expensive for what you get.

I've used one before, when I was staying at a friends for the night. I must admit, it was cool, but I don't think it's worth the price. I've heard about a new tablet coming out, the Blackberry Playbook, it has USB ports, HDMI port, 3MP front facing camera, 5MP camera on the back, and I think it has flash too. I might get that if it's good.

Pricewise the iPod seems to be in line with its serious competitors, for the moment anyway. When I was first handed one I really didn't want to like it, but the smoothness of the interface won me over pretty quickly.

I'm not sure I could buy a Blackberry after their current TV ad. Other than that it looks good specs-wise bar the 7" screen. Same processor as the iPad2, but I don't see what GPU it has. I'm going to hold off until I see some price estimates on the Light 10.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Eoin wrote: »
    http://www.blackberryplaybookprice.net/

Seems very expensive for a 7" screen if that site is accurate. Also seems a strange size for such a device. Too big for a phone, and a little small for a tablet.

Doesn't it have a similar res screen as the bigger ipad screen? if anything that's a plus, not a minus :D

Mactard wrote: »
    Doesn't it have a similar res screen as the bigger ipad screen? if anything that's a plus, not a minus :D

I'm sure the resolution is great, I would just find the dimensions of the device too small to be really usable for what it is. The same way I'd rather a 10" netbook to one of those 7" mini ones. I suppose it is the difference between being able to carry it in a coat pocket or not, but that wouldn't be a factor for me personally.

As an aside, it does look pretty cool - and "cool" is something that BlackBerry have never been able to pull off before now.

I'm going for an ipad myself, I guess we have a different perspective as I'd love a 7" ipad :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

dont really like apple products myself and am more of an android man but i got a 3month old mint 16gb ipad for 280 last week and i cant get over how smooth it is. yeah the flash etc is annoying but there would be far greater basic issues with the other android tabs for the same price

Advertisement