Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dipped bulb change on octavia

Options
  • 13-03-2011 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

One of the dipped bulbs went on my octavia and I got a replacement from Halfords. Just put it in there but noticed its got slight yellow color to compared to the original white on the other side.
    So does this sound ok, although I'll probably change the other one so they're the same! Also is it better to change bulbs in pairs anyways or does it matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

The slight yellow one is probably a normal bulb, the other one in there is quite likely something similar to what Vectra has linked to. Halfords do two for one offers on their super brilliance range from time to time. I was surprised how much brighter they are over normal bulbs. Certainly worth the extra cost.

Unless you want to fit a HID conversion kit @ €75 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Two for one on the super brilliance one now in halfords, only know because i got some today.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

civichead wrote: »
    Two for one on the super brilliance one now in halfords, only know because i got some today.

I got those for my Passat about a month back and find them rubbish unless you're on a motorway with new cats eyes

Just need to get someone to install my new xenon kit...

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Just need to get someone to install my new xenon kit...

Its actually a plug and polay install.
    Probably an hour or less.

vectra wrote: »
    Its actually a plug and polay install.
    Probably an hour or less.

I know.. the problem is the B6 Passat has 3 different headlight units and mine has the ones that have a bracket that the bulbs sit into and which then screws onto the back of the light assembly itself.

Plus side is there's no faffing about with trying to get the bulbs clipped in right (as with the other headlight types), but the downside is the hole in the bracket isn't big enough to push all the xenon kit wiring through so it needs to be cut, put through and then rejoined (preferably with little plugs)

Then there's trying to get the bulbs in at all seeing as some genius thought it'd be a good idea to put the water bottle directly behind the driver side headlights! :rolleyes:

I got those for my Passat about a month back and find them rubbish unless you're on a motorway with new cats eyes...

Probably more to do with the Passats lights than the bulbs though :)

I know.. the problem is the B6 Passat has 3 different headlight units and mine has the ones that have a bracket that the bulbs sit into and which then screws onto the back of the light assembly itself.

Plus side is there's no faffing about with trying to get the bulbs clipped in right (as with the other headlight types), but the downside is the hole in the bracket isn't big enough to push all the xenon kit wiring through so it needs to be cut, put through and then rejoined (preferably with little plugs)

Then there's trying to get the bulbs in at all seeing as some genius thought it'd be a good idea to put the water bottle directly behind the driver side headlights! :rolleyes:

I took out my headlamp units.
    Much easier

vectra wrote: »
    I took out my headlamp units.
    Much easier
    Does that involve stripping down the whole front of the car though? (Wish i had a garage :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Does that involve stripping down the whole front of the car though? (Wish i had a garage :))

On the new shape octavia its pretty easy. Just undo a plastic nut on the top of the light assembly and then pull the small lever on the bottom of the housing and out they come. Dont know if its similar with the passat though.

Advertisement