Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snotty Horse Riders

Options
  • 13-03-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi, Has anyone got any insight into how it is that you meet so many rude, arrogant, snobby, snotty, horrible people on horseback. A smile is something you rarely ever see on their faces, I wonder if the pastime is such a chore why do they bother at all. And if they have a go at you they usually have this hoity toity accent that would make a cat laugh. Some of them look like they have barbed wire in their knickers and it gives all the normal sane people like the rest of us a really bad name. I had a run in today with one obnoxious bitch (pity that poor horse, she was overhorsed and her brain had gone south), and my husband says why i want to be involved with such cretins is beyond him. It seems to me they get on a horse and turn into morons. Sorry Rant Over.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 odessa19

Haha at least Im not the only one who sees this! I know what you mean, it especially annoys me when some people go into details of their horses cost and breeding (like thats what matters to them most, not the actual horses)...as if anybody really cares:p Dont worry though...there are plenty of nice people out there who are into horses!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

oh dear, looks like thread trolls on the hunt!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

Horsemania wrote: »
    Hi, Has anyone got any insight into how it is that you meet so many rude, arrogant, snobby, snotty, horrible people on horseback. A smile is something you rarely ever see on their faces, I wonder if the pastime is such a chore why do they bother at all. And if they have a go at you they usually have this hoity toity accent that would make a cat laugh. Some of them look like they have barbed wire in their knickers and it gives all the normal sane people like the rest of us a really bad name. I had a run in today with one obnoxious bitch (pity that poor horse, she was overhorsed and her brain had gone south), and my husband says why i want to be involved with such cretins is beyond him. It seems to me they get on a horse and turn into morons. Sorry Rant Over.:mad:

in my opinion its because most of them cant ride for *** so feel they have to get thick with people to show how superior they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I prefer horse riders who shout "Yup Yup, Boss".

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

G'YUP G'YUP, YAHHH, G'YUP YA DAISY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Horsemania

Thanks Odessa19, I was beginning to think I was the only person meeting these jerks,and for the other comments, The only trolls I have come across are some on horseback.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Haha yes, I remember in the equestrian team in school I never made friends with any of the people in it, they were all horrible.

It's funny when you go to a show and half the people have a big "tally ho" accent on them. bleeeh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I'm going to leave this thread... I think it kind of ties in with my thread on reminding riders to thank motorists who slow down...

Thanks for your comment but isn't it kind of sad that you have to remind people to have manners and decency because we all get a bad name if you don't. Who were these types dragged up by ?.:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Horsemania wrote: »
    Thanks for your comment but isn't it kind of sad that you have to remind people to have manners and decency because we all get a bad name if you don't. Who were these types dragged up by ?.:confused:

Rude people really bug me, but when their bad manners result in all others who enjoy the same hobbies, whether horse riding, golf, stamp collecting, etc., being tarred with the same brush, then they really need to take that into consideration and look at their behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ___?

But there is a disproportionate amount of snobby people involved in the equestrian showing life than there is in the like of gaa...I amn't tarring everyone with the same brush - my own gf being anything but snobby...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

Personally I haven't come across a disproportionate number of snobby people, but maybe there's regional variations... Where I am down in Galway, the people I ride with a great craic - not an ounce of snobbery - everyone mucks in and helps out at the yard, we slag each other in lessons, but most of all we support each other especially at shows. The cost of owning a horse has made us all broke, so we all have to really be mad about horses to stick with it! :D

I have, however, encountered a handful of people who weren't very nice - in fact, downright rude - in other parts of the country, but I found it came more from a generation where riding horses for pleasure was an identifier as having money and a sense of entitlement. One 'gentleman' in particular was a complete tosser, and he couldn't even ride well, just flouced about on a very expensive and honest horse that did all the jumping for him! A few people said he married into wealth and then took up hunting as a sign of his 'status'. Ugh I just don't waste my time with people like that, life's too short. It IS all about manners and common decency at the end of the day, doesn't matter how much or how little money you have

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I would say its the same as most other sports/hobbies, I see plenty of people while working at shows and 99% are really nice and pleasant and only a tiny minority have an attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Sorry I'm going to have a bit of a rant now so just because I have a posh accent makes me rude, arrogant and obnoxious? I always try and wave and smile at drivers and thank them after I have used hand signals to ask them to slow down.

Recently I had someone give me the finger whilst doing this. I nearly got run over today by a woman driving a large people carrier who totally ignored the fact that I was asking her to slow down on a very narrow country road.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

:DThe good thing about horses is that they are great levellers. Those fools who think horses=status tend to get lamped by fence three. There is a god.

Sorry Notsobusy, I had no intention to cause offence or to suggest that people with post accents are rude or nasty. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Hockey Chick

:DThe good thing about horses is that they are great levellers. Those fools who think horses=status tend to get lamped by fence three. There is a god.

I love this very witty

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Could not agree more. I recently attended a college jumping event...

Only that I knew a few there, I would have felt totally out of the loop. I was afraid to talk about my little coloured pony, compared to their noble steeds with their flashy gaits etc.

Was so fed up i left a day early!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Only that I knew a few there, I would have felt totally out of the loop. I was afraid to talk about my little coloured pony, compared to their noble steeds with their flashy gaits etc.

oh my GOD!!!! this is EXACTLY what happened to me a year or two ago, never met such a bunch of people up their own a***s!!! i will talk to a wall and am certainly not what you would describe as a shy person, never met such a bunch unwilling to integrate people. having won my place on a team for showjumping, i went down to the thing which was for three days and was put in a hotel room ON MY OWN despite the fact that everyone else was in twos, didnt know anyone, tried my absolute best to get in there but have never met such a cold shoulder.. i was so upset by the whole thing that i left after the first night, scuttled back off home with out telling anyone and ran straight back home up to my own yard.

luckily the crowd in my yard are the POLAR OPPOSITE of the type of unpleasantness discussed in this thread - you meet all types i suppose!!
    certainly been put of college equestrian events for LIFE though :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Does that not say more about college than people on horses?
    oh my GOD!!!! this is EXACTLY what happened to me a year or two ago, never met such a bunch of people up their own a***s!!! i will talk to a wall and am certainly not what you would describe as a shy person, never met such a bunch unwilling to integrate people. having won my place on a team for showjumping, i went down to the thing which was for three days and was put in a hotel room ON MY OWN despite the fact that everyone else was in twos, didnt know anyone, tried my absolute best to get in there but have never met such a cold shoulder.. i was so upset by the whole thing that i left after the first night, scuttled back off home with out telling anyone and ran straight back home up to my own yard.

luckily the crowd in my yard are the POLAR OPPOSITE of the type of unpleasantness discussed in this thread - you meet all types i suppose!!
    certainly been put of college equestrian events for LIFE though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Borderfox wrote: »
    Does that not say more about college than people on horses?

Silverfox : It was painful....Painful!!

Borderfox: While I do agree you have a point, these college people are also on the horsey circuit. While I have had great experiences with some owners and riders, there is that elitest 'attitude' in some parts. However I do agree witha point one poster made, GAA and other sports do have it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GoGoDiego

Awww! I feel for you! EVERY time I go to an equestrian event I get bossed around. I think its mainly because I have a 14hh cob, not very flashy! I'm constantly reffered to as 'that little girl' even though I'm 24 :D!! I think it might be the club I'm in, time for a change!

Advertisement