Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

giving an adult dog puppy food

Options
  • 13-03-2011 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

hi guys just looking for advise my 2yr old JRT will only eat puppy food. tired him on several brands of adult food he has no interest.

Is this safe or could it cause him harm? His weight and everything health wise is spot on according to vet?..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

ashblag wrote: »
    hi guys just looking for advise my 2yr old JRT will only eat puppy food. tired him on several brands of adult food he has no interest.

Is this safe or could it cause him harm? His weight and everything health wise is spot on according to vet?..

Puppy food is high in protein, which could cause damage to his kidneys if he eats it long term, so I'd advise you to try and get him off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

+1 with above poster. i would when near the end of ur current food buy adult in same brand and change over slowly, starting with more puppy to less adult, as week goes on i would be changing the ratio untill u r left with only the adult food. this should ensure 2 things. 1 that its doesnt upset the dog tummy and 2 the dog should at this stage be used to the new food. If not i would put the food down and leave it for 15 mins at this stage if he hasnt ate it it would remove it and nothing else till next meal. He wont starve and when he is hungry enough he will eat. you just have to be firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Burns website provides good info on reasons for giving your dog lower protein. Checkout http://burnspet.co.uk/petcare/burns-pet-nutrition-advice.html Have a look at the PDF documents.

Advertisement