Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headset pulling bike sideways

• 13-03-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭

I was messing around with my road bike recently. I removed the headset (wanted to see how it worked). After reassembling it, it seems to pull to one side when I take my hands off the bars. Anyone know why?

Nearly ended up in ditch recently as a result of it so would like to get it sorted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

if its causing such a serious issue you should have it assessed by a mechanic. Cyclesuperstore and wheelworx are both opened today.

its possible it could be lose also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I would say its overtightened so it cant move freely when you have hands off bars.

loosen it all up. Tighten the top cap bolt. its tight enough when holding front brake and rocking forwards and backwards it feels solid. Then tighten up the 2 bolts on the fork steerer.

If its a carbon fork use a torque wrench or get a mechanic....but tbh honest you should learn how todo this yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

did you put the bearings in upside down serious.also check theres no rocking in the headset when you pull the front break dont over tighten as long as it does not rock .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Your bike is experiencing tramlining and is easy to solve. Plenty of vids on youtube showing clearly how to get your headset right.
    eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsjZx9Kg7ng

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I had really bad play when I first messed around with it. Knew there was something up so tightened it. Just checked it again and still slightly loose so tightened it fractionally. Will test it tomorrow morning on the road.

Cheers for link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

what is tramlining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

abcdggs wrote: »
    what is tramlining?

You don't have 'free' steering. You have to fight with the front end of the bike a bit more to get it to go where you are going. Take your hands off the bars, and you'll quickly lose control.
    It's like being stuck cycling in a tram line (Luas Track).
    All because your headset is too tight!

Advertisement