Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lice

Options
  • 13-03-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

I got a new horse a few days ago. She is slightly underweught and in need of some tlc due to being an abandonment case. So in general, her immune system isnt the best right now.
    I noticed yesterday she was scratching a lot, so chwcked her mane and she appears to have lice. Now i have dealt with lice before on my old pony, but that was a good few years back.
    What is tge best way of goibg about treating and getting rid of the lice for good?
    With regards to her rug, its pretty old and probably wont live through another wash. Until i get a new one (pretty soon) how can i deal with this, as she is out and needs a rug in this weather.
    Besides cleaning numnah, tack and brushes, should i have any other concerns? In the old yard, my pony seemed to be the only one to catch lice even though sge was in close contact to other horses so im guessing they are not extremely contagious/ prefer certain bloodtypes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Rub on some dilute Hibiscrub but don't get her too wet. Just enough to soak through. There are various powders and creams and insecticides that can be used also. It's probably best to ask the vet which one they would recommend. Also, keep the horse dewormed.
    Keep everything clean including yourself and get that new rug as soon as possible as the problem will not go away without it.

Lice for horses can be treated the same way as lice for humans. Covering the affected areas with olive oil or mayonaisse for 30 mins before brushing off every week or two has been known to help.

Keep the horse away from other horses as it can transfer

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DougalZ

A good ivermectine based wormer should do the trick for you, 'Equest' etc..

Advertisement