Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The badger - our bravest wild mammal?

Options
  • 13-03-2011 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

I saw a badger on the edge of Limerick City last Tuesday night at about 1am. It was fairly close to UL at the large roundabout by the technology park. Anyway, I was in my car and saw the badger ahead of me, so I came to a stop. The badger continued to rummage through some garbage that was strewn on the ground and seemed very non-chalant about my car being so close. I stopped the car and got out, approaching the badger for a closer look. I got to within 4m of it before it trotted off lackadaisically. It was aware of my presence but wasn't too bothered.

I've also encountered badgers close to their setts in more rural environments before, and they never seemed fearful of my presence. Rabbits, foxes and hares all bolt away from humans, but badgers not so much. There are plenty of videos on Youtube of wild badgers being filmed at very close quarters by observers, indicating an element of fearlessness.

Why do you think this is?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

I saw two, large, recently killed badgers on the M9 today, less than 50km apart. I was wondering if motorways are more dangerous for badgers than ordinary roads due to the concrete median barrier.

Anyone know if badgers can climb over these concrete barriers or if they have to run along the motorway until they find an opening in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Anyone know if badgers can climb over these concrete barriers or if they have to run along the motorway until they find an opening in it?
    No they can't as far as far as I'm aware. It's a death trap for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Some will die on a motorway in the first year after it opens, but by and large they quickly start to use the many underpasses that the NRA build specifically for mammals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

There was a dead one on the N11 yesterday.

Even if it wasn't a concrete barrier, the chances of getting struck are high.
    Underpasses are easy to put in where the road is raised, but where road is not raised there may be more of a temptation to not use them. I've no idea on frequency of underpasses and what guidelines are in place, but I'd imagine most of us here think that they're not near frequent enough.

Sorry this is bringing thread more off topic. Will consider splitting topic if underpass discussion continues. Its a general wildlife topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Their eyesight is not great, so you can sometimes sneak up on one from downwind.
    Also they are not very fast, and by the time they see you, there is no point in running so they just shuffle away, pretending they knew you were there all the time. :D
    I'd say they have few natural predators, preferring to stand and fight if the worst comes to the worst, rather than run away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Tremelo wrote: »
    Some will die on a motorway in the first year after it opens, but by and large they quickly start to use the many underpasses that the NRA build specifically for mammals.

Wish this were true. The death count on the N11 near Loughlinstown is staggering. It's amazing there are any left around there at all. No exagerration to say I've seen more than 100 dead there over the years.

Advertisement