Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to replace a Pleco.

Options
  • 12-03-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi All
    My 3 year old Pleco died today. He had grown too big for my 80L tank, and hadn't been cleaning algae as much as he used to for some time. Want to get another fish to do the job but need the smallest algae eater possible. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Green Dog wrote: »
    Hi All
    My 3 year old Pleco died today. He had grown too big for my 80L tank, and hadn't been cleaning algae as much as he used to for some time. Want to get another fish to do the job but need the smallest algae eater possible. Any ideas?

So you deliberately allowed a fish get too big for a tank, without bothering to even see if you could sell it or get store credit, let it die, complain that it was not eating algae and now want advice on a replacement???

Not from me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Green Dog

Sorry shouldn't have said too big for the tank he was only 3" long but was too big to do the job I wanted him too. When he was younger he used to swim around the leaves a lot, as he grew just ate from the the glass and rocks.
    He didn't bother eating algae from the plants anymore his increased weight made it difficult i guess.
    Really don't think he had a poor quality of life. If he was too big for the tank I would have rehomed him, still well able to hide away. I actually had been worried that one day he might out grow the tank. Just want an algae eater that will stay about 1" long if there are any available.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Ancistrus Lemon (L144) would be a good choice as they don't grow big and will help keep algae at bay.

I got some in the past out in Aquatic Village in Brittas.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Green Dog wrote: »
    Sorry shouldn't have said too big for the tank he was only 3" long but was too big to do the job I wanted him too. When he was younger he used to swim around the leaves a lot, as he grew just ate from the the glass and rocks.
    He didn't bother eating algae from the plants anymore his increased weight made it difficult i guess.
    Really don't think he had a poor quality of life. If he was too big for the tank I would have rehomed him, still well able to hide away. I actually had been worried that one day he might out grow the tank. Just want an algae eater that will stay about 1" long if there are any available.

Not all Plecos eat Algae. Some only eat it when they are small and need a more
    meatier diet as they get older. Others like Panaques need wood in their
    diet. What species did you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Green Dog

Thanks for help. It was a sailfin pleco, sat on bogwood a lot not sure if it rasped it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ronman

hi all,
    i am looking for advice on what to do with my plecostomus, i have a 50 l tank with a large pleco about 3 yo (now 8-9 inchs long and very impressive looking) and few other small fish. even tho hes wel fed and seems healthy i think he now needs more space as is growing all the time and dont want to leave it too late. would look well in large restaurant etc. aquarium, but im just worried about somethin happening him in transit or in new home,
    tbh tho if i get rid of the pleco il prob get rid of them all cos could do with a break of remembering to get people to feed the fish when im not home every time for the last 5 yrs and hiding feed from annoying kids big and small all the time. also think he/she be worth a few quid now at such a good size.
    galway/ mayo area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

ronman wrote: »
    hi all,
    i am looking for advice on what to do with my plecostomus, i have a 50 l tank with a large pleco about 3 yo (now 8-9 inchs long and very impressive looking) and few other small fish. even tho hes wel fed and seems healthy i think he now needs more space as is growing all the time and dont want to leave it too late. would look well in large restaurant etc. aquarium, but im just worried about somethin happening him in transit or in new home,
    tbh tho if i get rid of the pleco il prob get rid of them all cos could do with a break of remembering to get people to feed the fish when im not home every time for the last 5 yrs and hiding feed from annoying kids big and small all the time. also think he/she be worth a few quid now at such a good size.
    galway/ mayo area

Not worth a penny to be honest. I'm assuming it's a common or sailfin plec. You might be able to get the shop you bought it from to take it back. They are a bit of a plague at this stage and a lot of the better shops don't stock them. An 8-9 inch fish is far too big for a 50l tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭keithb93

OP very few plecos should ever be put into your tank, your best choice would be an Otocinclus cat.

@ronman I had a 12 inch common and failed to give it away for free. In the end petworld in Galway took him in. I had no choice as he became very aggressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

upside down catfish are quiet good at cleaning around the place, i have one in each of my tanks. i found plecos lazy and dont clean at all

Advertisement