Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual-core processors

Options
  • 12-03-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

What dual-core processor phones can we expect to see later this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Phones already announce or un announced?

I only know of the SGS 2, LG Optimus 3D and Optimus 2X
    I'm sure HTC will be jumping on them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Motorola Atrix. Meant to be a beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

HTC supposedly have a dual-core in the pipeline "HTC Pyramid".
    The SGS2 looks pretty damn nice though! Very tempted to jump back to Android from looking at the specs - iOS is just too bloody restrictive for my liking...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Is android designed to take advantage of two cores??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Exactly what are dual processors going to do on phones that we can't do now? I'd take better battery life over faster processor any day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

duo cores = better battery life. basically 2 cores running on 50% each uses around 66% of what a single core uses running on 100% and you get the same performance

thats the reason theyre getting on to them so fast.
    i.e its gonna have better battery life and have that oompf for games, tasks etc when needed.
    also the likes of the galaxy S II is upgrading battery so i would expect 3-4 days out of it with up to a week on minimal usage.
    obviously if you are gonna play games on it then it will do as normal ones do and just eat the battery in a matter of hours depending on the game ofcourse

as for the phones iv only seen the spec on the galaxy s II and its sick. htc have plans to bring them out a few months after the first ones come on the market i believe, but i cant see them being much of a step up on current phones and the galaxy s2 looks to have everything you could possibly want in a phone anyway so i reckon most people will just get on that boat to be honest and stay sailing until the following year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

can these run Folding@home while in the charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Daegerty wrote: »
    can these run Folding@home while in the charger?
    It wouldn't really be worth the effort tbh.

It would absolutely destroy the battery if you left it running by mistake and current ARM cpus aren't anywhere near powerful enough for it to be worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

It wouldn't really be worth the effort tbh.

It would absolutely destroy the battery if you left it running by mistake and current ARM cpus aren't anywhere near powerful enough for it to be worthwhile.

I was thinking it would only start up when its in the charger and automatically stop.

With 1GHz processor it should return a good few WU per year and when you consider the sheer amount of those phones around the place they could do quite a bit of work

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

kenyard wrote: »
    duo cores = better battery life. basically 2 cores running on 50% each uses around 66% of what a single core uses running on 100% and you get the same performance

thats the reason theyre getting on to them so fast.
    i.e its gonna have better battery life and have that oompf for games, tasks etc when needed.
    also the likes of the galaxy S II is upgrading battery so i would expect 3-4 days out of it with up to a week on minimal usage.
    obviously if you are gonna play games on it then it will do as normal ones do and just eat the battery in a matter of hours depending on the game ofcourse

as for the phones iv only seen the spec on the galaxy s II and its sick. htc have plans to bring them out a few months after the first ones come on the market i believe, but i cant see them being much of a step up on current phones and the galaxy s2 looks to have everything you could possibly want in a phone anyway so i reckon most people will just get on that boat to be honest and stay sailing until the following year.

Cool thanks for that. When is the Galaxy II due out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I have one (I'm in Canada), and it's a beast alright.
    I like the fingerprint reader, hdmi port, HD playback, crisp display, swype input, android OS, nice speeds (although there's no 4g here to test it on).
    It has some expandability too with the microSD slot, and the battery is removable.
    The docks are a nice upgrade, but quite pricey

Advertisement