Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what times does what fly hatch

Options
  • 11-03-2011 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

what times of the year do what types flys hatch i dont know the right times does any one know around the time what flys hatch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

(Very) Broadly speaking:
    early season (Feb - April) - most of the activity will be around midday when temps are at their highest

May, June - hatches all day

July, August - most activity in the evening into the darkness

September - all day

steve

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gashead

This website has hatching charts available. I Haven't looked into them in detail but they might give some help.

http://www.theessentialfly.com

You have to register etc but might be worth having a look

Tight lines

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Remember that a lot of trout food items live their entire life underwater, that is, they never hatch!
    Fish fry, shrimp, water louse and so on.
    So if there is no visible surface activity, these may be what is on the menu of the day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

coolwings wrote: »
    Remember that a lot of trout food items live their entire life underwater, that is, they never hatch!
    Fish fry, shrimp, water louse and so on.
    So if there is no visible surface activity, these may be what is on the menu of the day. :)
    Always harder to judge what's underwater though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

i mean like olives, sedges ect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i mean like olives, sedges ect

Water temperature affects the times when lake olive and mayfly emerge, but lake olives normally emerge end of April early May and a second brood of lake olives will often emerge in September.
    Mayfly can emerge from the end of April, lough Carra for example, until well into June and where there is a heavier ‘hatch’ even later. On some loughs, Corrib for example, a second brood of mayfly can emerge in July.
    Sedges are quite numerous on Irish loughs and a vide variety of species can emerge anytime from late May until end of August or in some cases even later, i have seen some sedges emerge in early October!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

This page has much of the info the OP is looking for:
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/trout/troutrivers.htm

Advertisement