Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my stick! Might return it!

Options
  • 11-03-2011 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

Yay, went and looked for a stick today. I had not got much cash but wanted to get somthing to get me going. It can be a backup when I get my main stick at a later date. The stick I got is not too bad. Not great reviews compared to the TE but beggers cant be choosers and I am on z dole at the mo.

It is the Tekken 6 stick with free artbook and tekken 6. All for 40 quid brand new in gamestop. Gave it a quick go and it is better then I expected. Would prefer it to be heavy and wired with real arcade parts but it will get me going.

Will be online this evening after 8:30 with a pile of cans losing my battle points if anyone wants a game of SSF4. My gamertag on Xbox live is plumpynuter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

Happy practicing, man. If you're still about around 11 I might be up for some alcohol driven pugilism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

how big is the tekken stick? is it fairly sturdy? got a hori ex2 before but broke it in less then a week.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

mackg wrote: »
    how big is the tekken stick? is it fairly sturdy? got a hori ex2 before but broke it in less then a week.:(

Its light and its ****e to be honest. I would say it was the same standard as the one you had. At least I got tekken 6 with it :(

Its not too bad for guile or blanka or up down/left right moves but fireballs and all that jazz are muck with it. Ended up going back to the pad last night. The buttons are not really that responsive either so it makes blankas electricty harder to do quickly.

On the other hand it works well for tekken so far. If SSF4 is your thing I would give it a miss. Maybe I will get used to it and change my mind.

One thing I did not think of with sticks is that if you are playing on your lap you have to keep the base straight or special moves are harder to pull off. Is it just that stick or is that a common thing? My problem is that I play on a recliner with a wall mounted TV. Maybe the pad might be better for my needs if that is an issue. I find that the problem with a pad is that you have to press the buttons with your thumb. I used to play in the arcade with a finger on each button (3 at a time that is. I don't have 6 fingers. Well not on the same hand anyway)

I would put the 40 towards a decent controller if If I was you. I might try and return the bloody thing today or mod the **** out of it for the craic and keep Tekken.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

MOD IT.

Ask me how.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    MOD IT.

Ask me how.

How :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

eco2live wrote: »
    Its light and its ****e to be honest. I would say it was the same standard as the one you had. At least I got tekken 6 with it :(

Its not too bad for guile or blanka or up down/left right moves but fireballs and all that jazz are muck with it. Ended up going back to the pad last night. The buttons are not really that responsive either so it makes blankas electricty harder to do quickly.

On the other hand it works well for tekken so far. If SSF4 is your thing I would give it a miss. Maybe I will get used to it and change my mind.

One thing I did not think of with sticks is that if you are playing on your lap you have to keep the base straight or special moves are harder to pull off. Is it just that stick or is that a common thing? My problem is that I play on a recliner with a wall mounted TV. Maybe the pad might be better for my needs if that is an issue. I find that the problem with a pad is that you have to press the buttons with your thumb. I used to play in the arcade with a finger on each button (3 at a time that is. I don't have 6 fingers. Well not on the same hand anyway)

I would put the 40 towards a decent controller if If I was you. I might try and return the bloody thing today or mod the **** out of it for the craic and keep Tekken.

i hear its a terrible stick but don't forget there is a pretty big learning curve between the 2 don't give up on it straight away cos you cant fireball or ultra

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

It's pretty difficult to play on stick if you're lying back, tends to be a lot easier sitting up straight.

Was using it a bit today and its not too bad. Deffo better in Tekken for some reason. It might be the shape of the gate. Will do for a bit until I upgrade it. My skills are worse then the stick as I am new to SSF4 and T6. Put a little coffee table in front of the chair and it helped a lot.

I will mod it at a later stage. Will record the process with photos. Have an idea for a design.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I wouldn't go messing around with changing the gate less than 2 days after you start playing on stick - it'll take time to adapt to it no matter what, and most of the players in this country play on square gate fine.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I wouldn't go messing around with changing the gate less than 2 days after you start playing on stick - it'll take time to adapt to it no matter what, and most of the players in this country play on square gate fine.

This is so true. People don't perform, blame the stick, then spend al the time adapting, become better, and then say it's the gate. No, it's the amount of practice you put in to adapt and now you're in the same position and can't use most other peoples sticks!

• Advertisement

This is so true. People don't perform, blame the stick, then spend al the time adapting, become better, and then say it's the gate. No, it's the amount of practice you put in to adapt and now you're in the same position and can't use most other peoples sticks!

I know lads. Yea I am going to use it for a while. Its not that bad. When I think of the Arcades when they stuck SF2 into various cabins it took at bit of time to get used to them (some of them where real pieces of dirt). You had to learn to do without heavy kick on one of them I remember. :D

Did not even know what a bleeden gate was at that stage :). I only said that because people where saying it in reviews. I had no problem today with fireballs. It might have been the 10 cans of beer last night.

I am in no doubt about my skills at the mo. I am a good gamer and once I apply myself I tend to get fairly good. Not going to mod the stick until I get an upgraded stick and only really for the craic to do something a bit special using the innards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Media player
    Ac/dc - Its a long way to the top
    Training mode
    Ryu
    Ryu
    1xHadoken
    1xSRK
    1xTatsu
    1xTaunt
    Victory Yodel
    10xhadoken facing right. If any are messed up start again until 10 in a row with no hitches
    10xhadoken facing left. as above.
    10xSRK first right then left
    10xTatsu again, ambidextrous.
    Taunt
    Media Player
    Survivor - Eye of the tiger
    100xHadoken, 100xSrk, 100xTatsu
    Taunt
    Achievement unlocked
    5g Welcome to Street Fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Media player
    Ac/dc - Its a long way to the top
    Training mode
    Ryu
    Ryu
    1xHadoken
    1xSRK
    1xTatsu
    1xTaunt
    Victory Yodel
    10xhadoken facing right. If any are messed up start again until 10 in a row with no hitches
    10xhadoken facing left. as above.
    10xSRK first right then left
    10xTatsu again, ambidextrous.
    Taunt
    Media Player
    Survivor - Eye of the tiger
    100xHadoken, 100xSrk, 100xTatsu
    Taunt
    Achievement unlocked
    5g Welcome to Street Fighter

Taunt is soooo overpowered, 1 frame startup? WTF?!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

Thinking of getting that stick myself. I prefered the square gate over the octagonal one on my old hori stick, my current stick doesn't have a gate at all, just a big sleeve thingy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Thinking of getting that stick myself. I prefered the square gate over the octagonal one on my old hori stick, my current stick doesn't have a gate at all, just a big sleeve thingy

Did you put an octagonal gate into your old Hori yourself? Can't remember any Hori coming with one as standard.

Also, what stick do you have now?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

Yeah, I bought one awhile back. I prefered having corners. I have a korean stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Korean sticks are a kind of square/octogate hybrid though:
    joyFNMS-U1.jpg

Compare to the Seimitsu octogate:
    joyLS55-RH8O.jpg

or the (IMHO horrid!) Sanwa JLF octogate:
    joyJLFTM8-RH8O.jpg

Advertisement