Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to host a product video. What are my options?

Options
  • 11-03-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi there,

I need to design a 15 minute product video for a client. The client wants this video password protected and wants to be able to send clients a link to the video.

What are my options? Is Vimeo's free account suitable for this? Can I set up a Vimeo account using the company's name and password protect the video on there?

Do I have any other options? I'd prefer to keep it away from YouTube as it is a little unprofessional. Thanks for your help/advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

From Vimeo's website:

What do I get with a Basic account?
    Basic accounts receive:

• 500MB per week of upload space
    • 1 HD video per week
    • Upload up to 10 videos per day
    • 1 Channel, 1 Group, and 3 Albums
    • Ability to download converted files
    Robust privacy controls
    • Basic embedding features
    • Huge street cred

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mike_Eile

Thanks Liam.

They do say that it is not for commercial use. However, I have noticed a log of companies using it for commercial purposes so they don't appear to regulate it that much.

Hopefully it'll be ok. Has anyone else any experience of using Vimeo for commercial purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

For 'commercial use' they mean for adverts. I think your usage is fine, they should really clarify the hosting terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It seems to me that many companies use Youtube. I'm not sure about Vimeo (it's probably has the same features) but Youtube allows for customisation of your channel. Furthermore, if you become a "partner" you can place a banner that can be easily coded to act as a menu of hyperlinks.

So, for example, you can have call to action on your background that leads to your banner which in turn has different options - "go to website", "go to facebook", "buy", "about"... whatever.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Youtube is fine for this imo, making it private and not searchabel means that no-one can find the video unless they are provided with the link. Not quite password protected but assuming you are sending the link to only a small number of people it should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

p wrote: »
    For 'commercial use' they mean for adverts. I think your usage is fine, they should really clarify the hosting terms.

Unfortunately that's not the case - Vimeo have been known to delete people's videos, even those on the larger payment plans. I don't have links to back that up but I researched a few months back as I'm doing a lot of video hosting now. I use a service from the JWplayer guys called BitsOnTheRun, but for a once off, YouTube should do the trick.

Advertisement