Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blues Beginner

Options
  • 11-03-2011 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

howya lads!

can anyone recommend some good songss, albums or artists from the Blues Genre for myself, a beginner

I have some magic sam, j hooker, bbking, howlin wolf, seasick steve and willie dixon in my new collection but im hungry for more! (even at that, if you want to impress some specific tunes by the above, please do! my collection is in its infancy!)

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

John Mayall's Blues Breakers. The "Beano" album with Eric Clapton has become iconic, and is a "must have" IMO. Other bands/artists to check out would be :

Mike Bloomfield

Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Freddy, Albert, and BB King

Peter Greene

Johnny Winter

Taj Mahal

Buddy Guy

Chicken Shack

Elmore James

Canned Heat

Roomful of Blues

Son House

Robert Johnson

Look them up on You Tube and see what you think.

Happy listening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Maybe more blues-rock than straight-up bues, but I can't recommend Joe Bonamassa, and Government Mule highly enough.

Stevie Ray Vaughan is also an amazing blue guitarist, and highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

cheers dude, i have some serious research to do by the looks of it!

any songs in particular from the above that are a must listen?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

that jon bonnamassa tune is crackin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Moved to 'Jazz & Blues' section

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Check out some early ZZ Top - before the synthesizers phase started in the 80s. Tres Hombres, Rio Grande Mud, Fandando, Deguello - classic blues-rock.

And don't forget our own Rory Gallagher!

edit; A good recent album that's I've been listening to is Memphis Blues by Cyndi Lauper (yes, THAT Cyndi Lauper!), some great songs and cameos from BB King, Charlie Musslewhite (harmonica) and Johnny Lang.

Check out some early ZZ Top - before the synthesizers phase started in the 80s. Tres Hombres, Rio Grande Mud, Fandando, Deguello - classic blues-rock.

And don't forget our own Rory Gallagher!

hes the man that got me started! what an artist

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Stevie Ray Vaughan is also an amazing blue guitarist, and highly recommended.

I agree, and it was Albert King who was his mentor and who helped nurture that talent.

OP : On the subject of SRV, an album I'd recommend is him playing with Albert King.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

classic blues can't go wrong with bb king,albert king,howling wolf, robert johnson

For classic blues rock, go for fleetwood mac(check peter green/jeremy spencer/danny kirwan ere, well before buck-nicks ere), john mayall's bluesbreakers(clapton,peter green and mick taylor ere's), free, cream, all of claptons solo albums, gary moore, rory gallagher, thin lizzy

and of course stevie ray vaughn and roy buchannon(listen to sweet dreams, one of his best)

also try some blues flavour stuff like pink floyd(gilmour ere), or some mick taylor ere rolling stones,

for modern stuff try Joe bonnamassa(try ballad of john henry or black rock) , davy knowles and back door slam,philip sayce

• Advertisement

RC88 wrote: »
    or some mick taylor

+1 for Mick Taylor. He was/is a great guitarist long before he joined the Rolling Stones. They served to bring his name to a bigger audience. He is a very under rated guitarist. John Mayall's album "Blues from Laural Canyon" features him at his best IMO.

Here is a track from the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ObOggb5kn8

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

If you like Rory Gallagher check out Albert King Live At Montreaux ,Rory is on 1 track its one of my favourite Albert King albums.
    I ouldnt bother with Cyndi Lauper the best part of that album is the guests that are on it.
    An easy and free way of listening to Blues is of course on Radio.
    The Bluestrain on Dublin CityFM Sunday nights at 10pm www.dublincityfm.ie and Paul Jones BBC2 7pm Monday nights would be my recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

you have get your hands on Muddy Waters Hard Again its a fantastic album with a hell of a line up playing inc the excellent James Cotton on harp

other recommend albums for a beginner would be the series of London sessions where a blues master would play with the likes of Eric Clapton, Rory Gallagher, Steve Winwood, etc

aif you want a more blues and funk sound have a listen to some Freddie King especially the great album Burglar

i discovered John Mayall shortly after creating this thread, and my god, what an artist! i was lost but now i am found!

keep em coming lads, i have a good ear and plenty of time, lay it all on me!

WilcoOut wrote: »
    i discovered John Mayall shortly after creating this thread, and my god, what an artist! i was lost but now i am foun

He played here in Dublin a couple of times. Keep an eye out, he'll probably be back again. :)

any more recommendations?

really feelin magic sam at the mo, plus all the Led Zepplin releases of Willie Dixon Stuff

Advertisement