Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was this animated show?

Options
  • 11-03-2011 3:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭

It was screened in RTE in the mid-1980s and visually it consisted of very simple black-line-drawn characters (not even shaded) and single solid tone backgrounds (usually in the pink to purple range). It looked REALLY cheap/amateurish and wrt to the colours kind of imagine those old silent movies where they'd use a single colour to suggest a 'mood' (only please remember we're talking about a cartoon here).

I've a feeling it might have come from a non-English speaking country (perhaps Eastern Europe?).

It's been bugging me for years as to what it was actually called. Even so much as that I checked the Irish times archive to find out only to see the show listed as "cartoon time". I get the feeling RTE used this cartoon as nothing more than "filler" to killl off the minutes directly before or after the news.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

I remember Rté used to show Czechoslovakian cartoons in the 80s as filler. Still, it was better than "Fade Street"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I vaguely remember watching something like that when I was a young 'un.

I think may have been French.

Kind of like Worker & Parasitesque drawings? Only more crude. The pink background thing rings bells. I'll hazard another guess on the year:1986

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Lynfo

Yes indeed I remember it, I was only thinking about it the other day. I've no idea what it was called, but I think it was earlier than '86. I've done a search on it, but can't come up with anything, hopefully somebody will remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

this came to mind,

but looking at it again, probably not

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭seekers

There was also an irish one called Baile Beag. It was in Irish at first but they used put an english version after the irish ones were used up. It was really basic looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Youtube Lolek and Bolek or Vecernicek(the intro bit) thought I think its a Polish cartoon not Czech or Slovak, I also remember it. Dark green background and bleak graphics.. In case your wondering they still show this on local tv .)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 learydon

i've seen that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

this came to mind,

but looking at it again, probably not

Thats from an episode of the Simpsons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Is the character similar to this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Not really. It's hard to explain. Imagine characters that are more "2d" than those ones, like the animator isn't even trying to give an illusion of dimensionality to them. Also iirc they didn't take up much of the frame ie the main characters full body might only take up 1/3rd of the height of frame. Very unsual style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i think i remember that alright and i thought it was Lolek and Bolek but that is too colourful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Advertisement