Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is wrong with my springer spanial!??

Options
  • 11-03-2011 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

ok so starting at the beginning...3 days ago our 5 year old springer went to bed looking a bit stiff...only had his usual walk that day. got up the following morning and he was struggling to walk, his whole body seemed tightened up. A few hours later he had gotten worse (barely moving and his whole body was shaking) the vet suspected meningitis or poisoning as it was his nervous system that was causing the problem. he received 3 injection (1 was diazapam) and was kept in for the day. shaking stopped and he was brought home. two days on and we have seen some improvement but his neck and front legs are so stiff he has huge problems lying down. other than that he is perfect...his appetite has not been affected, his eyes look perfect and he is wagging his tail! everyone seems to have a different opinion...although an american woman has just suggested lyme disease! didnt think it was common in Ireland but it does exist and although we didnt find any ticks on him he would spend alot of time in long grass/wooded areas. does anyone know anything about lyme diease in dogs? or any other suggestion as to what might be the problem? please help! thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

Done a bit of Googling and got this, poor thing hope he/she gets sorted soon

Signs of Lyme Disease in Dogs
    Of the hundreds of cases of canine Lyme Disease that I have seen, over 90 percent of canine patients were admitted with signs of limping (usually one foreleg), lymph node swelling in the affected limb, and a temperature of 103 degrees (101 to 102.5 degrees is normal). The limping usually progresses over three to four days from mild and barely noticeable to complete disuse of the painful leg. Once the dog starts to be affected by the bacteria, Lyme Disease can progress from a mild discomfort to the stage where a dog will be in such joint and muscle pain it will refuse to move; it is not uncommon for an owner to have to carry a sick dog into the animal hospital. Over the span of two or three days a dog can progress from normal to completely unable to walk due to generalized joint pain. In addition to joint damage, the bacteria can affect the dog's heart muscle and nerve tissue. If the disease is diagnosed in time, treatment can cure the dog before permanent joint or nerve damage occurs. Certain antibiotics, such as the Tetracyclines, are very helpful in eliminating the disease.
    Generally, the diagnosis of Lyme Disease is based upon clinical signs and history. For example, if a dog ran or played normally a few days ago, has had no signs of trauma or previous arthritic discomfort, and now displays tenderness upon palpation of the affected limb and has a mild fever and swollen lymph nodes, I'm going to seriously consider Lyme Disease as a possible diagnosis.
    On the other hand, just as in human medicine, Lyme Disease is called "The Great Imitator" because it has often been mistakenly diagnosed when another disorder is present, such as an autoimmune disease, lymph tissue cancer, Blastomycosis, or septicemia. Just as vexing is the fact that at times other similar-appearing diseases are diagnosed when the culprit is actually Lyme Disease. There are published reports of Lyme Disease being misdiagnosed and over diagnosed in human medicine.

Keeping other disorders in mind, if I suspect Lyme Disease, I start treatment immediately, generally prescribing an antibiotic such as tetracycline and possibly some aspirin if the dog is in a lot of pain. Many veterinarians do not wait for blood tests to confirm the tentative diagnosis because in dogs the information obtained may be confusing and require too much time to hear back from the lab. I have seen patients that from clinical experience I know have Lyme Disease, yet their blood test curiously indicates no exposure to the disease. And there are numerous cases of normal-appearing, healthy dogs with positive blood tests for Lyme Disease.
    Fortunately, over ninety percent of dogs treated within the first week of obvious signs of Lyme Disease will respond rapidly to treatment with a tetracycline antibiotic. This medicine is administered for at least three weeks. In my experience, five percent of dogs will have some type of relapse of signs such as cardiac or neurological difficulties even after treatment . Some of these patients will experience chronic, lifelong joint pain from the damage caused by the bacteria and its direct and indirect stress to joint tissues. The earlier the antibiotic is started in the course of the disease, the better the patient's chances of a complete recovery.

Can a dog contract Lyme Disease a second time? Yes. But, quite honestly, we don't know for sure if the reoccurrence is a second, distinct infection or a flare-up of the original episode (because the Borrelia organism replicates quite slowly). And, since dogs can harbor the bacteria in their tissues a long time before the disease is evident, Lyme Disease cases are showing up all year long. In the northern states, however, the summer months are the busiest for Lyme Disease case presentations.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/lyme.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Who are these people you are getting these opinions from? How many of them are qualified vets and have examined your dog?

If you are unsure about your vets treatment ask them to clarify, if you want a second opinion, take the dog to another vet for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

Hope what I posted is of some help, symptoms look to be close.

Had a springer myself and was forced to give her away 2 years ago, due to work commitments, but now I am not working I miss her like mad.

Hope your bowler gets better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Marty w although I understand you asking, your best bet for a diagnosis on your dog is your vet.
    Speaking froma human perspective there are a lot of different diseases out there that have very similar or even identical symptoms to others.

If you are concerned about Lyme disease then give you vet a call and ask them, they would be more likely to know the ins and outs of it. If you are not totally confident with your vet then maybe get a second opinion, dont leave it.

where are you based? my advice would be to get a second opinion as it sounds like he has a bad dose.
    best of luck

Advertisement