Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

handcuffs

Options
  • 10-03-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭

I know that this doesn't have to be answered, its not a question about how to get out of them or nothin.. Just wondering about this..

So I have been watching road wars, and a bloke got arrested for speeding, and the arresting officer didn't use his own cuffs.. another officer from a different vehicle used his cuffs. While the arresting officer kept his on his belt.

Back in the custody suite the man still had the cuffs on that I'm guessing the first officer had put on him, while the arresting officer still had his on his belt.

So do cuffs get shared? Like if you arrest someone and someone from a different car cuffs them for ya cause u are busy restraining them, would you then give him your cuffs or what way does it work?

As I said, it doesn't have to be answered, its just more as a matter of interest than anything else..

Thanks lads..

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

You always try and get your cuffs back. They are normally the ones you were first issued with so you kinda grow attached to them.

Plus, cuffs generally come in contact with blood/sh1t/vomit and whatever else so if you have cleaned yours after such a contact you know they are clean.

Other cuffs might not be as clean so generally you always want to get your cuffs back if you do give them away for an arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

You sure the person wasn't 'tackled' by the first policeman, but placed under arrest by the second?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I used to have to transfer offenders to police. Now we would prefer to have the cops put their cuffs on the offender before we removed ours.

We were always very wary of being in the situation were the key holes were. The keyholes facing each other on two pair of cuffs means they will have to be cut off?

Unless someone can think of some other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Would you get enough clearance to insert a key if you swivelled the opposing cuffs in opposite directions?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Possible but it would depend on how tight they were on and you can imagine the howls of complaint. As you rolled the cuffs in opposite directions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

You sure the person wasn't 'tackled' by the first policeman, but placed under arrest by the second?

The first officer that was the arresting officer held the man's arms as a second officer from a different car put his cuffs onto the arrested man, I only noticed it cause at first he tried to take the arresting officers cuffs off his belt, he had the ones with the plastic in the middle, but he couldn't get them off so he used his own ones.

Advertisement