Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLEASE help with cat psychology!!

Options
  • 10-03-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

Ok, this is getting weird now..
    I posted a while back that my male neutered Bengal cat peed against the hoover, whilst standing on all fours, not squatting..(someone said he was marking, but he did it again since, and its not spray, its wee)
    He did it against the curtains a week or 3 ago, and tonight climbed onto the TV unit and proceeded to begin to pee against the TV whilst standing still with his rear against it.:mad:

He DEFINETELY isnt marking, there is no odour other than wee, and its a big pee.

On each occasion he has miaowed loudly to indicate he wants to go out but wont go out cos its been raining.

There are 2 litter trays upstairs AND downstairs that he REFUSES to go in!
    They are kept scrupulously clean, and have no strong odours of bleach or cleaning stuff.
    There has been no changes or upheavel in the house that would cause any stress to him.

PLEASE can someone advise how to get him back into using the tray when he needs to go!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I'd get him to the vet and get him checked out for UTI's if I was you, if they feel discomfort while using the litter tray, the can associate that with the litter tray and refuse to go in it.

You haven't changed litters lately or anything by any chance? Some cats are very particular about the type they use.

However, he could very well be marking, as if he's neutered there won't be such a strong odour. There's a lot of cats in heat / tom cats fighting around my way at the moment and it's definitely upset my guy to the point that he's sprayed in the house a few times lately. You could try a Feliway plug in to help calm him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

ok, will see vet asap...its driving me mad, i have to follow him about everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

Dear OP

A friend of mine had the same problem when she moved house with her cat. until she bought drops to put in the litter trays and she says they worked wonders. The drops are called swifty, and she got it at maxi zoo.

Hope this helps.
    BC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I have had a word with the vet and she thinks it could be urinary tract related too, so he is on a hills prescription dried food specially for that purpose. Getting some Feliway too, so fingers crossed, will update.
    The TV still works..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Now that everything is sorted and will hopefully be ok, can I please indulge by doing this :D:D:D?

The TV? Maybe Jeremy Kyle was on it, in which case I wouldn't blame him. :)

No seriously, glad to see it was sorted in the end and hope the UTI clears up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Glad you're making progress. I've a female cat who suffers from UTI and her brother sprays when stressed, so I know all about the smell...

Advertisement