Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer amp software

Options
  • 10-03-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Heya,

I was just wondering if there was anything other then the standard software I got with my line 6UX1 that i could use for amps.

The pre effects and amps dont suit my metal style playing and I cant seem to find anything online.

Help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

you could try this http://www.ikmultimedia.com/metal/features/
    i think theres a 10 day free trial. beware though, the presets arent really up to much. you'll have to tweak a bit to get your sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

Heya,

I was just wondering if there was anything other then the standard software I got with my line 6UX1 that i could use for amps.

The pre effects and amps dont suit my metal style playing and I cant seem to find anything online.

Help :)

Check out LePous site. http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/
    Free amp sims and an IR loader, they're excellent. Just grab GuitarHacks IR bundle, some Sneap (Machine Head, Testament etc. producer) and Friedman IRs are in that bundle, it's free, just google.
    The LexTac models the Bogner Ecstasy, the LecTo models the Dual Rectifier.
    There's also an ENGL model.
    Nick Crow does a great free 5150 model on his site.
    All the metal toanz you need, and for free assuming you're on Windows.

The other great metal amp sim is ReValver, but it's not free.

I've tried, and hated, most others including GuitarRig, Amplitube etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Question: To record guitar. For the sound is it best to record it dry, Direct, into a DAW then put the amp simulators on it - or record it miked from an amp, dryish (which will have it's own colour) ?

I've only started playing guitar again seriously recently. How should I record it?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

krd wrote: »
    Question: To record guitar. For the sound is it best to record it dry, Direct, into a DAW then put the amp simulators on it - or record it miked from an amp, dryish (which will have it's own colour) ?

I've only started playing guitar again seriously recently. How should I record it?

From what I've seen here in previous posts and replies (and elsewhere) is that it's all dependant on personal preference....some people like amp sims, some dislike them and think that nothing can substitute for the real thing (i.e= mic'd amps).

I'm a fan of amp sims myself - I'm still at home and already have taken over the 'family' pc with other gear floating around in the room. Having to mic up an amp is tricky and the sound isn't always gaurantee'd to be good depending on what mics you've got at your disposal, what the room is like for recording, etc. I use guitar rig, it's pretty decent for what I need but I'm sure there are numerous others that can do the job if not better.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

I like Overlouds TH2 amp/etc modeller.

Its got a load of presets to help you get to your sound quicker.
    I've used a few others such as Revalver and Amplitube. Both are good, but the presets are not that great IMO. You really need to know the sound you are going for and how to get there with these.

LePous stuff is good (and free!) and I suggest giving it a whirl before you splash out on expensive software. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

krd wrote: »

I would say try both ways.

The philosophy behind amp sims is that you record it in direct and then process it, but you may or may not prefer the results from processing the miked up signal.

I have tried both ways and didn't find processing the miked up signal to be so great overall. Though a lot of modelling software has separate effect and speaker cab sections that can be used on their own, applying these to a dry signal can be kind of cool.

Also, when going the DI route the quality of the DI/conversion used has a big influence on the quality of the results you can achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I've used guitar rig, amplitube 1,2,3 and I always end up goin back to the gearbox line 6 models, I think they're real easy to get a good sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eamonntheviking

Paolo_M wrote: »
    Check out LePous site. http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/
    Free amp sims and an IR loader, they're excellent. Just grab GuitarHacks IR bundle, some Sneap (Machine Head, Testament etc. producer) and Friedman IRs are in that bundle, it's free, just google.
    The LexTac models the Bogner Ecstasy, the LecTo models the Dual Rectifier.
    There's also an ENGL model.
    Nick Crow does a great free 5150 model on his site.
    All the metal toanz you need, and for free assuming you're on Windows.

The other great metal amp sim is ReValver, but it's not free.

I've tried, and hated, most others including GuitarRig, Amplitube etc.

I'd second the above with regards to getting IR's and LePou's pre amp sims. In the right hands, they sound pretty much identical to the real thing (check out the Andy Sneap forum to hear what people have done with them). I've used Lecto and really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

I'm from the Sneap forums! :)
    Here's what I suggest:
    Guitar (DI) -> Audio interface.
    Inserts:
    Cream Tube or Tubescreamer Secret (TSS) -> LeCto -> IR loader with Greg's "ASEM RECTO V30 L2.wav" impulse.
    http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/gear-sale/622013-fs-custom-impulses.html#post9349607

TSS: I normally have the drive around 9 o'clock, tone at 11 o'clock and level at 12 o'clock on a real Tubescreamer, I'd imagine the software shouldn't be too far from that though.

You should defo be able to get good metal tones using the above setup. Remember to undergain rather than overgain the amp for best results (I find).

Any other questions, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

I'd second the above with regards to getting IR's and LePou's pre amp sims. In the right hands, they sound pretty much identical to the real thing (check out the Andy Sneap forum to hear what people have done with them). I've used Lecto and really liked it.

Yes, they sound close to the real thing (maybe people are too used to the digital sound?), but once you reamp your tracks through a real amp - you'll immediately hear a huge difference, trust me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement