Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback sought on new concert guide website

• 10-03-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey all,

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this new Europe Wide Concert Guide website which I have been working on for the past while.

www.concertracker.com

Any comments/feedback at all would be great!

Cheers guys!

Al.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Nice idea, but the site needs work.

Logo is stretched too much and doesn't read well.

The slideshow performs badly. It distracts and is a bit of a resource hog so its movement is jerky. Its controls are in the centre and only show one act at a time. I'd replace it with a jQuery scroller which has 3ish events listed at a time.

The search results and other type have small grey text on grey which is hard to read. Needs more contrast and better colour choice. Same goes for the social media links which could be easily missed. Make the band names in results links.

The search box could do with some spacing of the selects. Some bands have no listing so would be better omitted from select acts field.

There's also no free search so I can't find stuff like festivals e.g. Rock Werchter.

Displaying the results using ajax into the div looks nice but at the same time I suspect it's hammering your SEO. All the link juice won't get seen by spiders.

About has concertracker@gmail.com email address which should be info@concerttracker.com and linked to a mailto and there should also ve a form available for general feedback, suggest a listing and maybe some other stuff. Text is hard top read. What's with the close button.

hope that helps and good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Nice idea and I had thought of something similar myself. Always find it trickier than it needs to be to find a comprehensive listing of gigs so only really hear of gigs I'm interested in through other people or coming upon them by accident!

You got big plans for the site - how are things going with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Regular Al

Cheers for taking time to check out the site and posing feedback guys, much appreciated!

tricky D : Cheers for all the advice.. you have confirmed some of my concerns.

I have edited the logo and reckon it reads better now.

I'll look into the jQuery scroller for a slideshow. I noticed that it was jerky at times. This varies from browser to browser, and in Opera it’s doing some crazy stuff. Hopefully the jQuery one will let me make database calls - this took a while to tweak in the current one.

I have lightened the colour of the type as you suggested. I did also play around with the font size in the listings but the real estate in that area makes it hard to increase much more while keeping all the info on one line.

I originally had band names in results links but some people expected this to give them listings just for that band and not take them to a new site.

In relation to the selects, I found they render differently depending on the browser. Are you using Firefox? I noticed that FF doesn't add any spacing and can look bad but most of the others do. Maybe there is some hack to get around this?

I'll have to do a bit more homework on SQL to implement the free search as you suggested. Likewise with omitting bands that have no listings. But definitely agree that it is worthwhile doing. I'm also working on a festivals section.

It’s a pity that the SEO is compromised by using AJAX (as I am recently realising!) because I think this is the best way of showing results from a usability standpoint. I suppose I am learning the hard way about this stuff!
    As a workaround I have added all the dynamically generated urls to my sitemap.xml file. Eg:

http://www.concertracker.com/map.php?event_id=1718 http://www.concertracker.com/map.php?event_id=1719
    Etc........

The Google index has been increasing but will the spiders find all the links in here now?

Will work on adding a proper form as you suggested. Thanks again for all the suggestions tricky D.

Hey Chet Zar, yea that was my experience too of looking for gigs abroad. Wanted a one stop shop instead of going to loads of different sites.
    So far, so good. Definitely been a learning experience as I’m relatively new to Web Design. Still looking for feedback & ironing out some creases before we start pushing the promotion etc.

Thanks again Guys!

Advertisement