Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan Offers - Gumtree

Options
  • 10-03-2011 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Apolgies if this is the incorrect forum - if so mods please move - but I wasn't too sure where to put it. I see lots of adds on Gumtree for loans, e.g. http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/85/75605685.html or this http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/08/75557608.html

Are these legit or are they a sort of scam does anybody know? I've seen a good few over the past few weeks and they just seem to shout scam at me.
    Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

loan shark

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Oh sweet lord - taken from one of the ads
    I Am Mr Osagie Dennis, C.E.O Ubiquitous Trust Fund,We are looking for a company Worldwide and individual that is
    well versed in Personal Loans, Bad Credit Loans, Debt Consolidation
    Loans, Small Business Loans or other Loan related matters?
    Ubiquitous Trust Fund has become an expert in its industry and
    a solidified company Worldwide.
    Over the years we have accumulated numerous
    testimonials from satisfied clients and have completed many successful
    projects. Bad Credit Loans, Debt Consolidation Loans, Small Business
    Loans amongst various other types of Loans. Please feel comfortable to
    contact.ubiquitous.trustfund@yahoo.com.sg with any
    questions or comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

dudara wrote: »
    Oh sweet lord - taken from one of the ads

Ha ha. Oh I know that one is a scam for sure. Was thinking more the other one. Would you agree that it's a loan shark?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

SteoL wrote: »
    Apolgies if this is the incorrect forum - if so mods please move - but I wasn't too sure where to put it. I see lots of adds on Gumtree for loans, e.g. http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/85/75605685.html or this http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/08/75557608.html

Are these legit or are they a sort of scam does anybody know? I've seen a good few over the past few weeks and they just seem to shout scam at me.

scam, I saw a thing about it on tv a while ago...I cant remember off hand how exactly it works but it's a scam for sure. I think it involves the loan shark demanding an upfront payment as security..then he leggs it and you don't get your 'loan'.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    scam, I saw a thing about it on tv a while ago...I cant remember off hand how exactly it works but it's a scam for sure. I think it involves the loan shark demanding an upfront payment as security..then he leggs it and you don't get your 'loan'.

Cheers. I would be very worried if anyone thought it was the norm to make an upfront payment in order to get a loan. Some people obviously oblige though or else these scammers wouldn't be putting up the ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Ha ha. Oh I know that one is a scam for sure. Was thinking more the other one. Would you agree that it's a loan shark?

The first link is a shark. No question

The second one is a 419 scammer, just waiting for someone to send him a few hundred euro admin fee for the 'loan' via western union, and then lo and behold the poor sod who parted with their money won't be able to get in touch with them, or get their money back!

RachaelVO wrote: »
    The first link is a shark. No question

The second one is a 419 scammer, just waiting for someone to send him a few hundred euro admin fee for the 'loan' via western union, and then lo and behold the poor sod who parted with their money won't be able to get in touch with them, or get their money back!

419eater doesn't get enough advertising IMO. Brilliant website that everyone should read to protect themselves from 419 advance fee fraud.

419eater doesn't get enough advertising IMO. Brilliant website that everyone should read to protect themselves from 419 advance fee fraud.

Couldn't agree more. Love that site (www.419eater.com for anyone who is interested). Not only does it give good warnings, but it's very entertaining!

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Love that site (www.419eater.com for anyone who is interested). Not only does it give good warnings, but it's very entertaining!

Indeed, I have spent many hours reading through the letters archive looking at photos of scammers with fish on their heads right through to Harry Potter books been written out in full by hand. The site owner should get an award for wasting the scammers time and preventing them from others who may not be as tuned in to this sort of thing.

Indeed, I have spent many hours reading through the letters archive looking at photos of scammers with fish on their heads right through to Harry Potter books been written out in full by hand. The site owner should get an award for wasting the scammers time and preventing them from others who may not be as tuned in to this sort of thing.

The guy who tattoed himself to get into a church that didn't exist was brilliant! One of my particular faves, always makes me giggle ;)

• Advertisement

It's actually frightening just how many of those dodgy ads are on Gumtree. Seems to be more scams than legit ads. And what is it with people placing ads looking for loans? That's bizarre. Do they actually expect people to reply saying here you go, I don't know you from Adam but here's 5 Grand to keep you going. :eek::rolleyes::eek:

Presuming this one a scam also. These places (gumtree etc) really need to do something.

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/59/75873259.html

Presuming this one a scam also. These places (gumtree etc) really need to do something.

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/59/75873259.html

That's another 419er!!! The problem with gumtree and sites like it, is that they think that just because they have a section advising you about how to be safe etc; that their job is done, just because they use this as a sort of "disclaimer"

So I sent an email to "Mrs Rosa Mario" and received a reply from "Fernandez Garcia" (signed Mrs Rosa Mario).
    You have to fill out the loan application form so that we can go into the transaction everything about this company is ok. This company is a legitimate and register company under the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Await your response.

Mrs Rosa Mario.

I think I'll take up scambaiting for sport :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement