Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMus Entrance Exam

Options
  • 10-03-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi, Just wondering if anyone out there has done or is doing the entrance exam for the BMus course? As I play mostly folk and jazz style guitar was just wondering how you are assessed for the performance part? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

crucial wrote: »
    Hi, Just wondering if anyone out there has done or is doing the entrance exam for the BMus course? As I play mostly folk and jazz style guitar was just wondering how you are assessed for the performance part? Thanks!

I did it last year and passed it. The exam is done in two stages: The first is a written assessment...mainly composing (including modulations, etc) which has to be written in a particular time signature. They also asked to change the time signature and adapt the (lets say third phrase) to that time signature. We also had to write an essay on one of the 5 or 6 topics given.

Then came the performance aspect. There are rooms that you can practise in and you're given a particular time and room to be in. You play one or two pieces and they'll know fairly quickly whether you have talent or not.
    Hope this helps. Best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 crucial

Dr. Ring wrote: »
    I did it last year and passed it. The exam is done in two stages: The first is a written assessment...mainly composing (including modulations, etc) which has to be written in a particular time signature. They also asked to change the time signature and adapt the (lets say third phrase) to that time signature. We also had to write an essay on one of the 5 or 6 topics given.

Then came the performance aspect. There are rooms that you can practise in and you're given a particular time and room to be in. You play one or two pieces and they'll know fairly quickly whether you have talent or not.
    Hope this helps. Best of luck :D

Great thanks! Any opinions on the course itself so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

Nope LOL. Even though I passed the exam I didn do it. I did the music entrance exam to keep my options open :D Sorry

ah right thanks again anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Starry Plough

Yeah I did the exam in 2007 and passed, I did the course and I''m now in final year (3rd) of the BA Music course. I didn't really have much of clue about reading music (I still don't) but the interviewer seemed to like my performance because he passed me (I'm a guitarist). I wouldn't worry about either part of the exam too much, as long as you perform well in one they'll let you in, the exam is just to weed out those who don't have musical ability. Bringing accompaniment of some sort is a good idea.

About the course itself, I'd recommend it if you want to get a grasp on composition and musical theory, and also to get the chance to study different world music and instruments as well as jazz theory. That said, it's not the most hands-on course music-wise, and is more academic than anything else (in first year in particular, there's alot of psuedo-philosophical bull****). If you're serious about becoming a virtuoso at guitar, you could do worse than have a look at the music course on offer at Coláiste Stiofán Naofa.

Just my experience, but I hope it'll be of use.

• Advertisement

Yeah I did the exam in 2007 and passed, I did the course and I''m now in final year (3rd) of the BA Music course. I didn't really have much of clue about reading music (I still don't) but the interviewer seemed to like my performance because he passed me (I'm a guitarist). I wouldn't worry about either part of the exam too much, as long as you perform well in one they'll let you in, the exam is just to weed out those who don't have musical ability. Bringing accompaniment of some sort is a good idea.

About the course itself, I'd recommend it if you want to get a grasp on composition and musical theory, and also to get the chance to study different world music and instruments as well as jazz theory. That said, it's not the most hands-on course music-wise, and is more academic than anything else (in first year in particular, there's alot of psuedo-philosophical bull****). If you're serious about becoming a virtuoso at guitar, you could do worse than have a look at the music course on offer at Coláiste Stiofán Naofa.

Just my experience, but I hope it'll be of use.

Cool! I am definitely lookin to improve the theory and get an insight to world music so yeh sounds good, thanks a mil!

Advertisement